Teri.jeffrey
Teri.jeffrey
  • Tutorial Team
  • New Port Richey, FL

Stools Saved by the Paint

$30

When these stools were left behind by the previous owner of our new condo, I didn't have the heart to put them in the "discard" pile.
stools saved by the paint
Remember when these were the trendy home decor item that transformed any space into a beachy environment? Design was timeless but natural wicker screamed for color.
stools saved by the paint
After a light sanding, I decided to paint the legs in Annie Sloan Duck Egg Blue and figure out the remainder as I went along. It's my adult version of coloring outside the lines.
stools saved by the paint
Decided that they needed a second color so opted for Annie Sloan French Linen which is a perfect gray. Seat and every other diagonal cross bar received the French Linen color.
stools saved by the paint
After the stools were completely painted, added a coat of Annie Sloan Clear Wax. Decided that the diagonal pieces needed a "punch" so went with a coat of dark wax on that section only.
stools saved by the paint
Lightly sanded the seats to let the natural wicker show through and they are now ready for a new life.

• Annie Sloan Duck Egg Blue  (One Amazing Find, Tarpon Springs, FL)
  • Annie Sloan French Linen  (Left over supply)
  • Annie Sloan Clear Wax  (Left over supply)

• Linda Muse Shemwell Moore

Will the paint hold . What did you use?
    • Teri.jeffrey

I've used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint on numerous pieces of furniture and it wears better than anything. Of course, proper preparation always ensures a better outcome. Degrease and sand lightly.
  • Marie Garner

Are the seats waxed? Does the wax come off on clothes?
    • Teri.jeffrey

Yes, they are waxed and it does not come off on clothing. I usually wax & buff furniture twice and let it cure for a week.
  • Linda Wilkins Cleary

I'm wondering what you use to degrease in your preparation to paint ?
    • Teri.jeffrey

I usually use diluted 1 part Simple Green Cleaner/Degreaser to 3 parts water in a spray bottle.

• Bev28094999

Awesome upgrade! I have some nesting tables of the same bamboo material. Hope they turn out as well as your chairs. Thank you for sharing.
  • Sharron Sonders

I love what u did. Any good furniture can be brought back to life. Wicker is big in Canada