How to plant in clay soil?

+7
  • Caroline Forwood Caroline Forwood on Jul 31, 2017
    You will have to mix in some soil amendments and conditioners to your soil. Other alternative is just use containers to grow plants. That's all I use and when I move I can take them all!
  • Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Jul 31, 2017
    try this site -- https://ask.extension.org ;
  • Brenda Wagner Odom Brenda Wagner Odom on Jul 31, 2017
    What are you planting, vegetables, shrubs or flowers?
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jul 31, 2017
    It may be easier to build raised gardens or container garden. I have heard some people have to start over with amending the soil each spring for years. With raised gardens the soil amending would be minor in that you have to replace the nutrients used up in the soil over the last year. As long as you have the garden raised sufficiently for the root space needed for the mature plants you should be good.
  • Babette Babette on Jul 31, 2017
    I lived in an area with clay soil, I dug my holes a little bit bigger and deeper than I needed then added either top soil or potting soil then planted. It was trial and error with what kind of plants would take but I found many that took.
  • Sdr28589002 Sdr28589002 on Jul 31, 2017
    work in leaves in fall --- also compost
    I would go to local Ag Extension office first. Some trees need deep root systems and clay is hard for roots to get through. The extension offices usually know what grows best in their areas and soil types. I can tell you after trying to grow things in clay for the past 30 years, that I have finally given up on most things and now use pots and raised beds into which I have put REAL dirt! lol Many of our trees developed shallow root systems due to the hard clay and eventually had to be cut down because they were undermining sidewalk, driveway, etc. Definitely get some expert advice if you are putting in long-term plants. The trees may also have to be root-trimmed seasonally to force the roots deeper.