Kelleysgirl
Kelleysgirl
  • Friendswood, TX

Wooden Flower Sign- Flower Power

$0

I wanted to do a project this morning with things I already had on hand, so this project cost me $0. I decided to paint a flower sign on some scrap wood I found in the garage, and using some partially used quarts of paint that were just sitting around collecting dust.

*Disclaimer- I am NOT an artist, I am a writer and creator, so please keep that in mind- and be kind. :)
wooden flower sign
This is the piece of wood I started with. It was a leftover piece of a 1 x 10 from another project. As you can see, it was already stained and just waiting for someone to use it.
wooden flower sign
I used a pencil and just drew out some flowers on the board. I needed something to use as a guide since I am not good at drawing or painting.
wooden flower sign
I used some old brushes I already had to paint a solid color flower.
wooden flower sign
I had three different colors that I used and this is what they looked like after the first coat of paint. I could have left it this way, and it would have been cute, but I wanted to add just a bit more.
wooden flower sign
Years ago, I used to watch Donna Dewberry and her one stroke painting technique (shameless plug). I was never very good at it, but I did learn how to load a brush with two colors of paint and blend them. I even used one of her brushes to do this. :)
wooden flower sign
I simply went back and forth on the plate until the two colors were blended.
wooden flower sign
Then I began painting over the solid color.
wooden flower sign
As I said, I was never great at this, so I simply kept blending more on top until I liked how it looked.
wooden flower sign
I finished all the blending, and used a cheap foam brush to pounce the center in with a brown paint.
wooden flower sign
I just cut off the top to make it flat.
wooden flower sign
I pounced the brown in the center of each flower, and then added just a touch of the whitish color on top.

And here is my finished flower board! Perfectly imperfect for a non-artist.

I will either put on my front porch, or possibly in my laundry room for a pop of color.

Happy crafting! :)

• Board
  • Paint
Kelleysgirl

• Gra14724722

What kind of paint did or can you use, if you wish to put this outside so it can stand up to the weather?
  • Momsal

What did you do with the painted plank on your porch? Hang it up or lean against wall?
    • Kelleysgirl

I actually hadn't decided when I posted whether to put on the porch or hang in my laundry room. I have decided to hang in the laundry room, as soon as I get the wall painted. But, if I had decided to put on my porch, I would have propped it up against the wall. Thanks for the question!