Change Your Brick to Farmhouse Style in a Day

$15
1 Day

If you follow Joanna Gaines you've probably fallen in love with the white wash brick style somewhere along the way!

Good news! If you have brick in your house ( or even just wanna install some of the fake wood stuff), you too can have that gorgeous farmhouse look! Let me show you!

Here's what I started with....
A corner that felt dark to me, even though there is a window right next to it!

I knew I wanted a change! I wanted to lighten and brighten and yet have my wall still feel warm and cozy!

So I grabbed some Junk Monkey Paint. This requires no priming, no sanding, and no stripping. There was even a sealer on this brick. I didn't have to do anything with it other than dust it.

Tip: If you happen to have a wall that's in a kitchen or may have lots of grime and grease, you can use a Krud Kutter to clean it first!

Here is the color I went with. A vintage white. This look really does look amazing when you use whites or creams or very light greys!
Now I'm taking a brush and painting out the grout lines. Don't do too many at a time. But work in an area and do the steps below (before everything dries too much).

Next up, brush the brick.
Now grab a car sponge and rip or cut a section off to use.
Spray with with a water bottle to keep damp or you can dip in a little water to keep it wet if you like.

The trick is to pull it over all that painted brick.
Turn on the music.....do your entire wall! And when you look back....it looks like this! :)
Can you say loveeeeeeeeeee?
If you loved this easy DIY, be sure to follow me daily over at Sonia's Shabby Chic-Junk Monkey Paint

(www.facebook.com/shabbychicbysonia)

Enjoy! And have fun decorating!!!

Shabby love,
Sonia

• Junk Monkey Paint  (www.facebook.com/shabbychicbysonia)
  • Sponge  (Walmart)
  • Paint Brush  (Local Hardware Store)

To see more: http://www.facebook.com/shabbychicbysonia

• Kyla

Will this work on outdoor brick? It's a small area actually mostly cover by overhang of the bilevel build.
  • Itsmemic

do you have a picture from further away so I can get the full effect? Thanks
  • Helene

What's different about Junk Monkey Paint versus other types?
    Oh and I do loveeeeee it!
  • D.b24267976

Doesn't the sponge crunke being rubbed on the rough brick?
    • Jewellmartin

The sponge would wear out quickly if you were rubbing the paint in, but if you just pass it over the top of the bricks, as in drybrushing, it would last longer. And I bet @Sonia'sShabbyShop used just one sponge for that large brick wall. Best wishes 😇
  • Martha Florey Jessen

If ours was brick I would definitely do this...we have a HUGE old, ugly "rock" fireplace and hearth. Short of tearing it out and winding up with an expensive, major re-do, any ideas?
    • Katie Burris

try and paint it, anyway. try white and see how it looks. or it may come out better with a gray tone. i would say aim for more even coverage with the paint, rather than letting the "rock" peek through as the brick above is.
  • Deborah Wells

What kind of paint would you use for exterior brick?
  • Deborah Wells

Any suggestions for this rock wall? It doesn't match the exterior brick.
    , Any suggestions for this rock wall It doesn t match the exterior brick
    • April E

White wash the brick to match?
    • Lin1738280

Unless it's lava rock learn to love it or apply a new surface over it. Painted rock looks awful. If it's lava rock definitely tile or wood over it
    • Stephanie

Check out on-line instructions for limewash on brick. You can also use it over stone. Very inexpensive, fast to do, and lasts for years. On an interior stone fireplace, I had good success with watering down acrylic and wall paint and lightly sponging it over the "offending" stones. Looked great and appears to be permanent.
    • Linda Sikut

Stephanie, I did that with a z-brick wall and it turned out fabulous.
    • Deborah Wells

That's a great idea. I have been always thinking about changing the rock wall instead of changing the brick to match the brick color. What kind of paint would I used for the brick?
    • Melita Todd

I love the rock wall. A beautiful touch of whimsy. I would paint my shutters, door and garage doors all to a lighter color in the wall. A cream might look good. Also add some larger colorful landscaping under the windows. That will give you another focal point and not a long naked wall. Have fun with it.
    • Chi27750958

I'd change the brick to something that would go with the stone wall. OR you could put wood or vinyl siding over the stone wall.
  • Valerie

Can you do this to a brick floor?
    • Charlee Hunter

I dont know why you couldnt. I would just make sure you use a good sealer over it so walkingon it does not wear the finish.
  • Mel27099736

Is that the same as German Schmeer? It's beautiful; wish I could try it.
    • Alyssa

This is different from German smear/schmear. This is basically whitewash/limewash, while German smear uses actual mortar.
  • Barbara Kuhns

Can it be used outside?
  • Dno23629985

I have red brick I would like to make it more beachy looking I have gray grout can you suggest the colors from monkey paint to make it more brown or beige
  • Cindylou Fisk-Arthur

I have an Adobe brick home that's over 100 years old. I have some large cracks. A few even reveal daylight. Should a do something different, regarding the prep work?
    • Jennifer Daniels Shearon

I would definitely fill the cracks first. They actually sell a mortar type caulk for this purpose. As long as it is latex based, you could then paint over it.
  • Debra Brookins

Can I use chalk paint
    • Cynde Peace

It pretty much IS chalk paint. I make my own. Plaster of Paris, Latex or Acrylic Paint. Voila.

• Judi Hendrix Duff

Sonya, Do you think I can use this on a black stone fireplace?
  • Cad28667673

That looks amazing my brick is all white how could u white wash it I thought maybe doing what you did but with a light grey what do you think
    • Itsmemic

well since she is not answering questions I will. Yes, I think the gray whitewash will work great !! I plan on doing this myself !! Good luck !

• Vicky Corey

This is from 2017. She may not be in here anymore.

• Deanie Hoffman

I did a white wash over red brick, then I did different shades of gray over each brick. Some bricks were very dark and some were very light. I wiped each brick with a cloth. It turned out really well. I hope the best for you.

• Jeannie Thornton

Does it need to be a terry cloth covered sponge? Thanks.

• Geri Imdieke

I have hated our brick wall with black grout since we moved in. Now it's time to down size & move again. A deffinite project to complete before we sell!

• Jennifer Stone

Before & after!!! Thank you so much!!!