Luz DIYs
Luz DIYs
  • Tutorial Team
  • Miami, FL

Where Are My Keys ? NO MORE! $15 Solution

$13

Ok.. It may be possible that I may be the only one… BUT I don't think so.

I hate seeing keys on a counter rolling around with no assigned location. I also don't really like having them “exposed” on a key hanger. (specially since I don't have a “Mudroom” or something like it. I wish I did.) In my case they would just hang there in my middle of one of my entry ways, looking into my OCD soul. Too much? Ok.. well, you may be right, but I really don't like them just hanging there. Doesn’t really fit in the decor.. Sometimes I feel it take aways from the great looking key hanger out there.

I ramble just to justify.. My great James Bond idea. HA! “Why don’t just hide them behind a frame.”

The key (no pun intended) is finding the right frame. It’s has to be at least 1½ inches in depth. This way the keys will hide behind behind the frame without damaging it or not allowing the frame to close properly. The deeper/thicker the frame the better. It was really pretty easy and I think I may customize a bit more by adding fancier hooks, and maybe replacing the elastic with a small wood plate but I just couldn't wait to share.

I hope you guys like it and maybe you can customize it to fit your needs, hopefully I gave you a head start.  Check it out !

I had most of the materials which allowed my cost to be minimal.
ok it may be possible that i may be the only one but i don t think so
Make sure the frame is at lease 1 1/2 inches deep/thick.
Materials
Got a bunch of these for $1 each - for another project.
Self-Adhesive Bumpers -recycled from an old door..  just added some double sided type.
Place the hinges in place
Drill them slowly to the frame
Add your rubber bumpers to each corner of your frame - your frame is ready.
Place the frame where you want it and mark with a pencil where the hinges are.

Since I was alone.. I just opened the hinges and allied with the line i made in pencil.. then I drew dots in the hole of the hinges to maker where my wholes should be.
I used a nail and hammer to make my holes, then hammered in my Ribbed Anchors
Drilled in my frame to the wall
Placed my hooks and WALLLA! I used hot glue to place an elastic to the frame to hold a wallet... that was a bonus.. LOL
I'm Bond...
James Bond.. HA!

• Toni

What size canvas did you use?

• Luz DIYs

Hey Toni,
      I actually was lucky enough to have found it framed at my local Walmart .. my Frame is 24in high and 9in wide, so the canvas is about 26x12 is I would have to guess. I picked that frame because I trying to fill that wall.. but you can use any size really as long as it has the depth and it covers that you are looking to do. Hope that helps. Please share some pics if you get to doing it. :)

• Toni

What size canvas did you use?

• Shuganne

If you got that frame level and centered while you were holding it in one hand and a pencil in the other, you're not 007, you're Super Woman! Did you measure or use a level or both? Beautiful idea and great execution-love it! Do you suppose I could squeeze a leash in there, too?

• Joe Jones

Absolutely a leash will fit it fits in the door pocket of police cars if you ever notice K9 officers roll theirs and put it in that pocket or a case similar to cuff case on the belt