DIY Tomato Cage Plant Stands

$10

This is one of the EASIEST projects I've ever done, and it only costs a few dollars. I needed a good way to display some planters I had, but didn't want to spend a lot of money, so I grabbed a few tomato cages from the home improvement store and turned them into plant stands! You can see this project, and lots of other easy and affordable DIY ideas on my blog!
You'll start off with a plain tomato cage. You can buy these already painted, but I wasn't a fan of the colors that were available, so I went with the unpainted ones. You can get them for just a couple of bucks at the hardware store, or here's an affiliate link to grab 'em on Amazon!
Start by using bolt cutters to cut off the bottom of the tomato cage (the part that you'd stick into the ground)
Then, use a metal file to smooth out the rough edges. It'll be really sharp!
Finally, grab your favorite paint and go to town! I used a few bright colors and painted some terra cotta planters white for this project, but the combination possibilities are endless!
Once your paint is dry, plop a planter in the smallest hole and you're done! In my experience, these are surprisingly sturdy and tend to do better in a grassy area where they can dig into the dirt a little. They're slightly more unstable on a flat surface like a patio.

Love & Renovations

• Shelby Hudson

DI'd you seal your terra cotta pots ?

• Richard Wood

MAKE SURE THE OUTSIDE CONTAINER HAS A DRAINAGE HOLE IN THE BOTTOM SO YOUR FRESH PLANTS ARE NOT SITTING IN WATER

• Als33315341

Why not use the pieces that where cut off to bend into candy cane shapes to secure cage plant stands into the ground.

• Bren

I wish I would’ve thought of that. I used some tomato cages for this exact same purpose but now I know how to keep them from falling over. Thanks for that suggestion, that’s awesome.

• Becky McCrary

Why not leave the part that goes in the ground, seems to me that would keep them more stable?

• Irene

You also would need bigger, heavier pots, since the opening is bigger and may not hold up.

• Lisa West

Dont you just love how easy this is. These tomatoes cages are great. They make some of the cutest items. This as plant stands. Little trees as well as the fall decor. So versatile what these little cages can make. Thanknyou for sharing. The colors are perfect. If and when you decide to put them inside or on a patio you could always staple a piece of wood that fits the bottom for stability on the bottom. Then you will have a shelf to maybe add anothe plant or a nick nack.

• Sandy

I love the idea!