DIY Tomato Cage Plant Stands

$10

This is one of the EASIEST projects I've ever done, and it only costs a few dollars. I needed a good way to display some planters I had, but didn't want to spend a lot of money, so I grabbed a few tomato cages from the home improvement store and turned them into plant stands! You can see this project, and lots of other easy and affordable DIY ideas on my blog!
You'll start off with a plain tomato cage. You can buy these already painted, but I wasn't a fan of the colors that were available, so I went with the unpainted ones. You can get them for just a couple of bucks at the hardware store, or here's an affiliate link to grab 'em on Amazon!
Start by using bolt cutters to cut off the bottom of the tomato cage (the part that you'd stick into the ground)
Then, use a metal file to smooth out the rough edges. It'll be really sharp!
Finally, grab your favorite paint and go to town! I used a few bright colors and painted some terra cotta planters white for this project, but the combination possibilities are endless!
Once your paint is dry, plop a planter in the smallest hole and you're done! In my experience, these are surprisingly sturdy and tend to do better in a grassy area where they can dig into the dirt a little. They're slightly more unstable on a flat surface like a patio.

Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
Love & Renovations

• Shelby Hudson
    Shelby Hudson

DI'd you seal your terra cotta pots ?

• Richard Wood
      Richard Wood

MAKE SURE THE OUTSIDE CONTAINER HAS A DRAINAGE HOLE IN THE BOTTOM SO YOUR FRESH PLANTS ARE NOT SITTING IN WATER

• Als33315341
    Als33315341

Why not use the pieces that where cut off to bend into candy cane shapes to secure cage plant stands into the ground.

• Bren
      Bren

I wish I would’ve thought of that. I used some tomato cages for this exact same purpose but now I know how to keep them from falling over. Thanks for that suggestion, that’s awesome.

• Becky McCrary
    Becky McCrary

Why not leave the part that goes in the ground, seems to me that would keep them more stable?

• Irene
      Irene

You also would need bigger, heavier pots, since the opening is bigger and may not hold up.