DIY Tomato Cage Plant Stands

$10

This is one of the EASIEST projects I've ever done, and it only costs a few dollars. I needed a good way to display some planters I had, but didn't want to spend a lot of money, so I grabbed a few tomato cages from the home improvement store and turned them into plant stands! You can see this project, and lots of other easy and affordable DIY ideas on my blog!
diy tomato cage plant stands
You'll start off with a plain tomato cage. You can buy these already painted, but I wasn't a fan of the colors that were available, so I went with the unpainted ones. You can get them for just a couple of bucks at the hardware store, or here's an affiliate link to grab 'em on Amazon!
diy tomato cage plant stands
Start by using bolt cutters to cut off the bottom of the tomato cage (the part that you'd stick into the ground)
diy tomato cage plant stands
Then, use a metal file to smooth out the rough edges. It'll be really sharp!
diy tomato cage plant stands
Finally, grab your favorite paint and go to town! I used a few bright colors and painted some terra cotta planters white for this project, but the combination possibilities are endless!
diy tomato cage plant stands
Once your paint is dry, plop a planter in the smallest hole and you're done! In my experience, these are surprisingly sturdy and tend to do better in a grassy area where they can dig into the dirt a little. They're slightly more unstable on a flat surface like a patio.

Love & Renovations

• Shelby Hudson

DI'd you seal your terra cotta pots ?

• Richard Wood

MAKE SURE THE OUTSIDE CONTAINER HAS A DRAINAGE HOLE IN THE BOTTOM SO YOUR FRESH PLANTS ARE NOT SITTING IN WATER

• Als33315341

Why not use the pieces that where cut off to bend into candy cane shapes to secure cage plant stands into the ground.

• Phyllis

I used mine as plant stakes, but that's a great idea.

• Becky McCrary

Why not leave the part that goes in the ground, seems to me that would keep them more stable?

• Chi chi

your right. i'v been using these for many years as plant stands. i do buy the color coated ones. they r stronger. i just stick them in the ground because they r not sturdy. but the coated ones r much stronger. they will fall over the way they r shone here.

• Phyllis

I made these plant stands last spring right after reading this post. I only have a deck at my apartment and they're very sturdy. Everyone who sees them thinks I'm a genius. I guess I am for doing your project. 😁

• Ana

Yes l will do this love it