DIY Cinderblock Plant Shelves

$40

This is such a simple project, and it's actually kind of a classic from 80's college dorms, but if you plop some plants on it, suddenly it looks a lot more chic and fits right into your backyard! I love these shelves to hold flowers, herbs, and gardening tools! You can see this project and more easy and affordable DIY ideas on my blog, Love & Renovations
diy cinderblock plant shelves
Start by grabbing two of your cinder blocks and laying them out where you're working about 3 feet apart from one another. I highly recommend working wherever you want the shelves to be, because these babies are HEAVY! Add construction adhesive to the top of each block.
diy cinderblock plant shelves
Take an 8-foot 1X12 cedar board and cut it down to two 4-foot lengths. Take one shelf and put it on top of the cinder blocks. Give it a bit to dry - you can use the extra cinderblocks as a weight if you want.
diy cinderblock plant shelves
Next, take your other two cinderblocks, put some construction adhesive on the top of the shelf, and plop them into place directly above the other ones.
diy cinderblock plant shelves
You know the drill - use your construction adhesive to apply the second shelf.
diy cinderblock plant shelves
Let it dry, add plants, and enjoy! You can really get creative with the finish on this - you can paint the cinder blocks, paint or stain the shelves - go crazy! I left mine plain because I really like the look, but the possibilities are endless.

• 4 cinder blocks
  • 8-foot 1X12 cedar board
  • Construction adhesive
Love & Renovations

• Ani27628547

Dangerous project. The base is not secured. This could easily be knocked over and seriously hurt a child. We have something similar and turned the cinderblocks so that the openings face each other. Then a 2x4 can be put into the openings.

• Gene Gummo

Adding a backing to the blocks and you could plant in the holes. Perhaps turning a pot on its side with vines could also work