Asked on Aug 1, 2017

I have a mink coat which I inherited. Has anyone ever repurposed one?

EmilySandyGBda28350864
+13

I was thinking maybe some pillows to use on my couch or perhaps a nice rug. I don't want to give it away as it was my mom's but I will not ever wear it.

• Sandi Blair
    Sandi Blair

Pillows are a great idea. Or you can make a teddy bear out of it. It would be a great keepsake.
  • Yig28390476
    Yig28390476

How about making teddy bears?

• Julanne Sharrow
    Julanne Sharrow

Just remember, it will attract moths......
    • Alanna
      Alanna

Thank you so much for the link. Now I need to find a seamstress. I am leaning toward throw pillows.
  • Claude
    Claude

depends on the condition of the fur...if the skin is dryfrom not being stored correctly it may not be a candidate for reuse. Sorry. Ask a tailor.
  • That is what I would do. My grandparents and parents were all raised in Europe and fur is what you wore in the winter. Since the "no animal fur" movement years ago (major deprtment stores still had "fur salons" when I was growing up, rabbit and fox were popular among kids), my dad (way before days of the internet), sold to a movie prop house. I did not get a say in the matter at the time. I woud have kept something and made pillows or a throw.
    • Back in the day it was a necessity, then it turned into a status symbol. Then people woke up and became smarter. For all the ones that still exist, to me it makes sense to repurpose them if possible. Otherwise they end up in a landfill somewhere. Find a seamstress experienced enough to turn them into pillows or whatever you wish.
  • Emily Roberts Whitaker
    Emily Roberts Whitaker

on a trip to Canada, I bought a hair clip that had fur glued to it.
  • Holly Kinchlea-Brown
    Holly Kinchlea-Brown

My mother made teddy bears for each of her children as well as using some to trim cloaks on Father Christmas dolls for us using a mink coat that belonged to my grandmother
  • Pat4831168
    Pat4831168

I HAVE SEEN WHERE TEDDY BEARS ARE MADE FROM THEM.
  • Bda28350864
    Bda28350864

lap throw was my thought for cool days and would look great over a couch
  • SandyG
    SandyG

A bear or throw cushion. Will be a great keep-sake and something you can display and enjoy.
  • Emily
    Emily

I like the idea of a throw. It is elegant and simple and would use the bulk of the fur. It also would not have to require expert sewing skills. My husband bought me a fur coat some years ago. I had stored it in a bedroom closet. I had also stored in the closet a Xmas candy house I had made. This was not such a bright idea as in the summer the candy melted all over the coat! I still can't bring myself to cut the coat up!