Asked on Aug 2, 2017

My auto garage door has been randomly opening lately

MonaWilliamSandi Blair
+6

Any one have idea why? Should i chg my clicker setting?

• A
    A

You might want to check the batteries in your remote, or the connection to the drive.
  • Beth Lux
    Beth Lux

this happened to me when the new neighbors down the road reprogrammed their remote-- when they pressed it passing my house up it went. So yes, reset it to new settings.
  • Pat
    Pat

If all connections are working and batteries are not in need of change I would alter the code perhaps someone has a device in neighborhood that is interfering
  • Sharon
    Sharon

Oh I had that problem once when I lived in the burbs, builders who build homes the same use same brand, and neighbors would open/close their doors at odd hours or worst when I was away working. First I tried changing the codes, but that didn't work. So I had to order and install a little electronic board that cost about $65 to stop it. Visit your manufactures website, or call them, but first climb up on a ladder and get the model # and serial #.
    William

If you have an older opener with a programmable remote change the code in the remote and opener to match. Most newer openers have a rotating code module built in so the code changes automatically every time the door is opened and closed. I remember installing a new opener for a friend about 10 years ago. I programmed the codes with the numbers he gave me. After installing and programming, I stepped out of the garage to test it. Pressed the remote button. His and two other neighbors on his block doors opened. I quickly pressed the button and all the doors closed. Had to change the code on his remote and opener by one number. I panicked at the time but laugh when we talk about it now.
    • Linda
      Linda

Lol thx thought I was going crazy, we just got a couple houses away new neighbors with new house maybe thats whats happening.
  • Sandi Blair
    Sandi Blair

Change your code. More than likely someone nearby has the same one
    William

Hate to say this, but criminals sometimes just drive around with garage remotes looking for garages that open. They do this several times over a period of time then stop. The homeowners think it was a glitch and when they don't suspect it, they're home is burglarized. That's why newer openers (past 20 years) and remotes have a rolling code.
  • Mona
    Mona

my daughters garage door did that, come to find out the neighbors garage door activated hers, change setting.