DIY Concrete Planter

$10

Concrete DIY's are all the rage ...I've seen a million DIY tutorials on this but they always required cutting cardboard, getting different shaped containers, etc. I wanted to simplify it as much as I could but be able to keep the succulents in there long term without adding rocks. AKA I wanted a hole on the bottom so this is what I came up with!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Complete list of materials is below. I used Quikrete and water for my concrete mixture.
Take your exacto knife and make a "X" at the bottom of your regular size cups.
Slide your straws through.
Push them to the bottom.
Seal that with hot glue - this will create the hole at the bottom of the planter to be able to drain the water.
Make a "X" on the bottom of your Dixie cups.
Pour your concrete in and shake it to settle it.
Once you tap it enough and the air bubbles are out, slide your Dixie cup right onto that straw and push it all the way into the other cup with concrete until concrete is level to the brim.
It should look something like this! Now depending on the size that you choose - you will have to let the concrete dry completely. Mine took about 1 1/2 days!
You can leave them as is or paint them! Totally your call.
I used painters tape and messed around with the designs but possibilities are endless (per usual with DIY's). I painted them different colors and added some spots with a smaller paint brush!
Since there is a hole in the bottom, you can plant your succulents without adding rocks but feel free to add them if you are concerned.
And voila! I mean C O M E O N with these. I made these are thank you gifts for my first DIY workshop that I hosted over the weekend and the attendees loved them!
Check out the full tutorial on my YouTube channel where I post two to three DIY's A WEEK! Yes you read that right - there is something for everyone on there. Be sure to show some love and subscribe while you're there.

• Concrete  (Hardware store)
  • Dixie cups  (Grocery store)
  • Regular party cups  (99 Cent Store)

Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
15 Memorial Day Crafts
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock

• Barbara Pearl

Can the concrete be colored? I would like to try some natural-looking colors like a subtle red or black.
    • Sharonsgarden

There are liquid and powder colorants. Tints all is a liquid one.

• Dee

Very impressed with these pots. They looked pretty simple with your photos and video! Could you use plaster of Paris instead of concrete ???? 👍😍

• Gail Gates

You might be able to use something like prune and seal. It's actually for trees when prune. Trees heal themselves so it is rather useless for that purpose. I bought it specifically for sealing the inside of my porous pots.

• Kat Rogers

SO ADORABLE, and I Love the design you painted on them!

They look quite professional, yet you cannot beat the simplicity of making them. And I LOVE that you can make a bunch at one time... The work involved to set up & mix ingredients is the same for one as it is for 10~20, SO TO ME IT'S A NO~BRAINER~ MAKE 20... OR 30!

Thanks for sharing this Fun Project!

• Sharonsgarden

For most cement products if you place them in plastic, it improves strength.

• Sharonsgarden

Sorry, I wasn’t very clear on this. No, you wrap whatever you have made in plastic, like a plastic garbage bag. This keeps the concrete moister longer and improves strength. Most Concrete reaches its full strength in 28 days. Smaller items probably don’t need to be wrapped long. It probably depends on the cement you are using.