Turn Some Old Cookie Tins Into a Beautiful Tiered Stand

$2

Old cookie tins are everywhere! Here is a great project to upcycle a few and get yourself organized for the Fall or make a cool new Home Decor piece that can be used in so many ways.
I have been making the rounds of the dump "stores" this summer on a regular basis and found these old cookie tins one week.  There are sooo many of these tins out there that I wanted to upcycle them into something useful and make a tiered stand.

Tiered stands are perfect to use just about anywhere in your space.   This one was either going to be for office things or decor... frankly I'm still not sure ;)
Each of the tins got two coats of Country Chic Paint in Coastal Fog on all sides to start. Coastal Fog is a beautiful cross between grey and beige... greige.  I love how it pulls in both the greys and beiges in a space.
To give the tins some space between them, I cut two of those spindles I never seem to run out of in half and gave them a coat of Fusion Mineral Paint in Casement.
Before adding the spindle, I needed to find the middle to make sure the stand stood true.

Here's a little trick to find the middle of each tin... Trace the tin on a piece of paper.  Cut out the circle and then fold in quarters.  Once you have the middle, place the paper back on the tin and drive a nail through the centre. 

Once you have the middle marked, you will know where to add the glue.

I used Gorilla Glue to keep all of the pieces of my tiered stand together.  I tried several different glues and this was, by far, the best one.
To help with organization (and because I still wasn't sure what I was going to put in each tin) I painted on little labels.

When Fusion Mineral Paint is dry, you can write on it just like a chalkboard!  I used Midnight Sky for my labels.

I also added some little wood knobs (that came with my hoard of spindles!) as feet.

I still can't decide where I want to use my tiered stand but maybe that's the best part... I can switch it up and use it in different places when the fancy strikes :)
Drop by the Recreated Designs blog to see more pictures from this project and other paint projects, vintage finds and upcycles...

• Cookie tins  (thrift store)
  • Spindle  (thrift store)
  • Paint  (Local Stockist)

3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Recreated Designs

• Kristin
    Kristin

Can you erase the chalk if wanting to change what the label says?
    • Recreated Designs
      Recreated Designs

Yes! With Fusion Mineral Paint you can use it like chalkboard paint. You will want to season the labels first by rubbing a piece of chalk over them on it's side and then wipe it clean before you use it. This will prevent any permanent chalk marks and then you can use it just like a regular chalkboard :)
  • 3ca27464472
    3ca27464472

I haven't been able to find any spindles, can you suggest a substitute item I might find at a craft store? Thanks- great idea for my small baking supplies and desk supplies.
    • Barb Brown
      Barb Brown

I don't know about craft stores but have you checked Home Depot or Lowe's? All you'll need is 1 or 2 staircase spindles for a couple of bucks each. Once you cut them into parts, you'll have enough for other projects too.
    • Kwo22205074
      Kwo22205074

candlesticks found st a thrift store
    • Recreated Designs
      Recreated Designs

Yep, you can use spindles from places like Home Depot (and lots of times they will even cut the the length you need) or I have used wood candlesticks from a thrift store before as well. Craft stores usually have dowel rods as well. You could use a really thick one or group a few together in a bunch for wider one. Hope that helps ;)
    • Lennea Thornton Downs
      Lennea Thornton Downs

Glass candle sticks from the dollar store. Clear or painted.
    • Lori
      Lori

Don't forget rummage sales too. I've seen candlesticks for a dime at some sales!
    • 3ca27464472
      3ca27464472

Great ideas everyone- new to this DIY stuff so need to get resourceful! Thanks
  • Lucy Marie Bernier
    Lucy Marie Bernier

Nifty idea👍👍, that would also be useful in a sewing room ? Cookie tins, wait till Christmas. They show up around then..
  • Janet Scafidi
    Janet Scafidi

how about a turning stand for the bottom

• Recreated Designs
      Recreated Designs

Great idea! That would allow you to turn it and get things from all sides.
    • Darci
      Darci

such as a microwave turntable?
    • Barb in Texas
      Barb in Texas

More like a lazy susan. You can probably find one from Rubbermaid that would exactly fit the bottom tin.
    • Recreated Designs
      Recreated Designs

Right, a lazy susan type stand.
    • Judy
      Judy

I think I've seen the lazy susan turntables at the Dollar store.
  • Ang11392205
    Ang11392205

Lovely idea, looks great, but for the life of me I can't figure out how you cut one spindle in half and still got two even piece with round ends? By what I'm looking at its impossible. Surely you cut two so they'd match. Yes? No?
    • Edith Siegel
      Edith Siegel

I'd say she used two spindles and used one end of each.
    • Recreated Designs
      Recreated Designs

Correct, for this particular stand I used two spindles just because I wanted the round ends on each side.
    • Ang11392205
      Ang11392205

Thought so, Think your post said you used one spindle though.
    • Suziweaver
      Suziweaver

She probably cut a longer spindle into 2 shorter spindles.
    • Vicky Corey
      Vicky Corey

She does say 2 spindles cut in half and shows a picture of 2.

• CAV
    CAV

Nice, I could use this in my craft room for beads. I have a spare turn table, I bought to make a key tree. But think I'll use it on a bead tin stand instead. Thank you for sharing.

• Liz Weiss
    Liz Weiss

I used three decorative plates as a jewelry stand. Love it but your idea is even more clever.