1 Hr DIY Luxe Decor Headboard
One of the ways I fell most fulfilled in my life is by seeing forward motion. I'm a home school mommy, co-owner of a fitness company, and an aspiring "superwife". Because of this, sometimes my personal dreams, wishes, and feeling of fulfillment get put to the sides so that I could emphasize the things that my family needs. But today my husband, Gabe, has Mia for one full hour. They're downstairs happily playing Legos, so I am going to build a luxury headboard!
This is a DIY project that I've had in my head for over a year. I'm excited to see what I can accomplish in an hour.
I found an awesome piece of particle board in my garage from a desk we built. It's not super sturdy. It's not super long-term, but it's super "right now". It's even the perfect size. It's about a foot bigger than my bed on each side. This will allow me to get a look really nice luxury look! I also found leftover foam that I had laying around from some cushions I made for my backyard.
I also have a gorgeous piece of dupioni silk left over from curtains I made for the living room. This is dupioni silk is so gorgeous and it's going to be so regal looking!
I am using this fabric out of my massive collection because it is the perfect to fit over the particle board that I have.
After thinking about logistics for a couple of minutes. I flipped the slides over to create seams, and ironed it down.
Next I marked it in place and created seams with my sewing machine. I ended up running a little bit short on the hour that I though I had. A quick sewing job turned into about fifteen minutes. Later I realized that I could have used thumbtacks to create the illusion of sewn seams. This would have cut my project time down quite a bit.
Next, it was time for some unexpected "impact" testing. As I diligently sewed my heart out inside, I left my king-sized project in the garage. Do you know what happens when you leave a project in the garage? A husband might park on top of it with a family car. Much to my delight I was able to salvage the poor thing with a heroic iron and a soft damp cloth! This is precisely how I will keep it clean as well.
Next I used 1.5 inch wood screws in diamond patterns to created a tufted look. They went into the particle board easily and stay in place very well. I decided to go for an industrial look and leave the screws exposed.
I lined the seams with a package of silver thumbtacks that I had inherited when my neighbor moved. My 5 year-old helped me place them in the particle board about an inch apart.
Lastly, I flipped my masterpiece over. I completed the edges with a fold over, which is held in place by hot glue.
The before picture was craving a makeover, and I was pleased to accomplish it in the end.
It took a little bit longer than an hour to complete but I was able to accomplish the remaining 30 minutes with the help of my daughter in little ten minute intervals. The best part is that it survived being run over by the family vehicle. So it's been a good day! I'm about ready to curl up with my hunky hubby and enjoy our evening.
It's finally done! It took a little bit longer than an hour to complete but I was able to accomplish the remaining 30 minutes with the help of my daughter in little ten minute intervals. The best part is that it survived being run over by the family vehicle. So it's been a good day! I'm about ready to curl up with my hunky hubby and enjoy our evening.
Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. More info