Asked on Aug 3, 2017

Which painters tape will not peel off paint?

BetsyEileen B.Nancy Turner
+7

Situation: repainting standing shelf unit. Base coated entire piece. Then I taped off supports to paint a different color on shelves. When peeled 3M blue off the sides, it pulled off paint from the supports. Found Frog paint (on past projects) inferior to 3M for bleeding, but can't find post where someone uses a different tape that won't peel off freshly painted areas. Anyone know what that 'special' tape is?

• Amanda
    Amanda

I use the green frog tape. I have make sure to paint lightly on the tape and remove it as soon as I can.
  • Pat
    Pat

When the tape is in place use old credit card to smooth edges to stop bleeding . Then remove tape just before paint is all dry.
  • Brenda Brandt Deason
    Brenda Brandt Deason

Most likely you need to prepare the surface before painting better. The paint is not sticking to it, so it sticks to the tape. I've had good results with old fashioned beige masking tape. The tape just has to be less sticky than the surface on the other side of the paint. Maybe let it cure 24 hours before taping as an extra measure. Also, when you pull the tape off, slide it back over itself at a sharp angle to lessen the tug on the paint.
    • J
      J

It was all primed, then base coated and let dry for 48 hrs. prior to taping...
  • Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

I had that happen when I rushed things too much and the paint under the tape was not completely dry. Had to redo it all.
  • Eileen B.
    Eileen B.

Frog Tape
    Betsy

Yeah, don't let the paint dry, because then it will peal the paint off. Take the tape off as soon as you're done painting the area. The blue tape works well, just remove it quickly.
    • J
      J

The paint that peeled was not the fresh coat on the shelves, but the taped supports that weren't getting the new color.