Country Chic Paint
Country Chic Paint
  • Canada

Kitchen Blah to Kitchen Ta-Da!

$100

Sarah from Hilltop Florist transformed her once-drab kitchen into a modern masterpiece with Lazy Linen, Liquorice, and Clear Coat!

kitchen blah to kitchen ta da

I purchased my first home in July 2016 and immediately got to work on the kitchen. And by immediately, I mean I replaced the appliances the day I moved in. (Talk about a stressful day!) The kitchen was just fine by most standards, but not mine. It didn’t have that spark, that something special, that WOW factor. Besides replacing the appliances, adding back splash, changing lighting, new counter tops and sink I knew I wanted to change the cabinets. Being on a limited budget, replacing them was out of the question. Along came Country Chic Paint. Deciding to use Country Chic Paint was a no-brainer but now picking a color that was a different story…

kitchen blah to kitchen ta da
kitchen blah to kitchen ta da
kitchen blah to kitchen ta da

Step one was to prime the cabinets, I removed all the hardware and doors and cleaned them with a mild soap and water. After a thorough cleaning (you want to make sure and remove any grease, dust or dirt) I started to paint on a primer. I used 2 coats of grey colored primer under the Liquorice and 2 coats of white primer under the Lazy Linen. I did not sand my cabinets. I felt the primer would do a fantastic job of helping with bleed-through and adhesion. I let the primer dry for 24 hours before I started painting.

kitchen blah to kitchen ta da

Once the cabinets were dry, I applied 2 coats of Liquorice on the island and 2 coats of Lazy Linen on the upper cabinets. Country Chic Paint has amazing coverage so there was no need for a third coat of paint.

kitchen blah to kitchen ta da
kitchen blah to kitchen ta da

After the cabinets had dried for 24 hours, I used a 220 grit sand paper to distress the edges and grooves to give my cabinets a little dimension in color. After sanding, I used a damp washcloth to remove excess dust. I let the cabinets dry for week before I started to apply a sealant. Longest week of my life, living with all my cooking utensils in another room- lots of take out that week! Letting your cabinets dry is very important; you can never let them dry too long.

kitchen blah to kitchen ta da
kitchen blah to kitchen ta da

I sealed my cabinets with Country Chic Paint’s Clear Coat. I mixed a little bit Liquorice into my Clear Coat by dipping the stir stick into the Liquorice and then holding it over my clear coat dish until the Clear Coat was black. I did this to ensure a nice even, clear finish. I did not put Lazy Linen in the Clear Coat, there was no need being that is a light color. I did 3 coats of Clear Coat on all my cabinets.

kitchen blah to kitchen ta da

I let a week go by before I put the doors and drawers back on the cabinets. I replaced all the hardware to bar pulls for an extra upgrade. The results were a stunning transformation! My kitchen is open and bright and ready for years of memories and family gatherings.

kitchen blah to kitchen ta da

• All-in-One Decor Paint  (Country Chic Paint)
  • Clear Coat  (Country Chic Paint)
  • 220 grit sandpaper

To see more: http://blog.countrychicpaint.com

• Jerissa

where did you get the backsplash from?

• Onwingandhoof

I'm not the creator of the blog but I found the same backsplash at Home Depot. It comes in very small pieces. I have also found it in larger sections at other home improvement centers. Just make sure to take a screen shot of the backsplash and take it with you when you go.

• Nikki Walden

This is beautiful! I have been trying to find this tile everywhere. Where did you purchase it?

• Kelley

I love this!! Did you use brushes or rollers?