Amazing Boho Dresser Transformation

$50

Wanna know what a bunch of drill holes can do for an ugly old dresser?

Yeah, didn't think so. Though give me a chance to explain - I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised!

Anyone can do this at home and the results are truly special.

I've summarised this tutorial slightly for Home Talk. You can find the full how-to here on my blog.
boho dresser transformation
I started with this very basic dresser which I picked up for $30 from the thrift store.

It had great bones and proportions though was totally blah and someone (I'm guessing a tween) had taken to it with a permanent marker or two!
boho dresser transformation
The first thing I did was cut off the toe kick (this isn't essential though does help eradicate the cheap "flat-pack" look). It also made it easier for me to attach some new stylish hairpin feet (you can see them in the after shot).
boho dresser transformation
Next I cut some new drawer fronts from a sheet of thin plywood. This was a simple matter of measuring the existing drawers and trimming the wood to fit. They are designed to be attached straight over the existing drawers, like cladding.

If you don't have a saw to do this, the hardware store will probably do it for you. Just make sure your measurements are accurate.
boho dresser transformation
For the following step I found a nice pattern online, adapted it to suit my needs then drew it on my new drawer fronts before drilling through to create a perforated design.

I used a bench drill though a hand drill works just as well.
boho dresser transformation
Once all of the holes were drilled (I'm not gonna lie, it took a few hours though you certainly don't need to use as intricate a pattern or as large a piece of furniture as me!) I sanded then stained the new drawer fronts before attaching them to the existing drawers with some glue and finishing nails.
boho dresser transformation
To finish I attached some simple brass knobs and gold harpin feet and...voila!

boho dresser transformation
I'm so thrilled with the way this came together and absolutely love that anyone with a basic drill can give it a go!

boho dresser transformation
I hope you like it and that it helps inspire!

Visit my blog post here for the full how to, further photos and all of the product source info.
boho dresser transformation
Kristine | The Painted Hive