Melissa Woods
Melissa Woods
  • Saint Joseph, MN

Repurpose Your Boxes Into Closet Organizers!

$5

If you have a lot of similar sized diaper boxes laying around, here is an idea how you can recycle them in your home instead of tossing them in the recycling bin. I did this project by reusing diaper boxes!
repurpose your boxes into closet organizers
I cut off the cardboard flaps and took the pieces of cardboard out of the handles. Next, I laid fabric to cover the box flat and ironed it. I just used old fabric, you can use anything! Drop cloths, bed sheets, anything could work.
After ironing, I cut my fabric to size and cut the excess fabric off the corners. Then I used hot glue to pull it tight and secure it inside and around the box. These fabric covered diaper boxes make great organizers for my kids' hats, mittens, shoes, and other outside gear in our coat closet.
This is a before and after showing how I used to boxes to organize my upper shelf. However, recently my entryway underwent an even bigger makeover with new painted trim and doors. Now my entryway closet looks like this! The diaper box organizers are still functioning great after years of heavy use!
I've made lots of these! They are super useful! You can improve this project further by adding labels or lids onto your boxes. Another tip: using patterned fabric hides the seams better and makes the edge of fabric less visible. This floral print green fabric worked great for a more professional result.
Thanks for reading my idea! Comment what you would use these to organize? Be sure to come to my blog to see more ideas to reuse boxes. And you're sure to love the rest of my entryway makeover.
Melissa Woods

• Hometalksg

Where did you buy the green floral pattern? I'm in love with the same pattern but in blue and would like to see if that might be for sale. Thanks in advance!

• Hometalksg

Thanks, Melissa. I have old sheets and plates in the exact pattern from the 70's...:)

• Esther

Would yoy please tell what is the best place or way to get left overs of fabrics or yarn to use for such projects.

• Patti

You could also use old bedsheets/pillowcases/curtains, tablecloths, blue jeans, shower curtains, spray paint, wallpaper, contact paper, wrapping paper, greeting cards, paper bags, popsicle sticks, duct tape, etc. Think "outside the box" for covering the outside of the box ! 🤔🙄. Look at what you have lying around that you could use. You might be surprised!

• Love the idea. Looks great. Where did you find the shoe cubby?

• Pam-ella

Thank you! Just what I need to do. They look great!

• BrokeCrazyLady

I've taken this idea a step further. Most of the boxes fit nicely sideways into another box of the same size. I've turned sets of 8 boxes into small dressers with drawers to hold baby clothes. Most dressers are just so huge, these are adorable and work wonderfully. Now that there's another little one in the household, I'll be doubling them and building the dresser to be two boxes wide and four tall. I was actually amazed at how sturdy the assembled portion was once I taped them together and even more when I added contact paper to the sides and back.

• BrokeCrazyLady

Sorry it is a bit dark, I'm too lazy to take the pic again.

It is 2 years later... so a bit worn, but what can you expect with two toddlers under the age of three (GASP! and another on the way).

At least I'm lucky enough that I can send them home when I get worn out. Ahh the pleasures of being a granny :D