Sewing Adult Bibs

$2.00

I have made these after someone gave my husband an adult bib. My husband suffers from a brain disease called FTD, you can go to my profile to get the full name. I am his caregiver/wife. I decided to make more of my own, and had so much shirting material. I got the hand towels from the $1 store which are a perfect size. I've made more for other families in need. They are super easy. It pays to know how to sew. :-)
Here's the one that was a gift.  It only goes up to his waist. I already had the material and the stabilizer. Only bought the towels.
Here's the one that was a gift. It only goes up to his waist. I already had the material and the stabilizer. Only bought the towels.
Here't the one I made, I know the material is cheesy but I have so much of this.  One friend suggested I make them longer.
Here't the one I made, I know the material is cheesy but I have so much of this. One friend suggested I make them longer.
Another suggested she wanted her's with a pocket at the bottom. So I folded the towel up. Cost me $2. for the two of them. I did put stabilizer in the fabric part.

• Tina Brown Ainsworth

where did you get the pattern for the top part

• Anna Ibarra

Someone bought one from a vender at a craft market, that was selling them at $30.00. I know I needed several for my hubby. So $30.00 each wasn't doable for me. So I copied the bib from that purchased bib.

• Sherrye Risher Matthews

Could you post the pattern for the top of the bib? Or a link to where you found it? I'm needing to make my mom some bibs and these would be perfect....and I could use fabric from my scrap bin as well!!!

• Sherrye Risher Matthews

I am trying this...but can't seem to get the top part to work!!! Do you have a pattern download or a link for a pattern to the top part?? Thanks!!

• Gloria Phillips

Please let me know how to go around corners? By folding a hem or sewing on trim? Tried bias binding with no luck. Got to be an easy way as I need quite a few for assisted living patients. Thanks

• Susan Goldsberry

This is a fabulous idea. My grandmother is also always in need of a bib. I’d love to be able to make her pretty pattern ones she can wear and still feel nice. Other than the ugly and expensive ones. Do you have a pattern for the top piece?

• Valerie

What a wonderful gift of love! Does it simply get put over the head, or is there a closure at the back?

• Anna Ibarra

Thank you Valerie, yes they look nicer then the generic. I still like him to look nice. He's handsome :-). I out Velcro much easier to put on & off! 😊

• Jane

Hi Anna, I lived in San Antonio years ago-miss that river walk! I am a caregiver for my adult disabled brother and 87 year old mom. Can't tell you how grateful I am to run across this post. My brother needs a bib constantly and these look easy and inexpensive to do. We were paying $10-$12 each for inexpensive and ugly bibs. Some days we go through three or four bibs so that can get costly. I also like that these can be made to coordinate to his outfits. Let's face it a bib is a bib and hard to hide but at least these can be made in colors and fabrics that are a little less conspicuous. It is important to me to try to take care of him in a way that preserves his dignity when meeting his special needs.

• Anna Ibarra

@Jane Hello Jane, glad you got to experience our river walk. It has been extended to make walking such a nice treat. Our current mayor is a big advocate of stay healthy. It is so pretty, so I don't know when you last were here, but holler if you return. Thank you, wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in them, but someone gave me the first one pictured w/football that has a reverse pattern, so it can be dual use and not just one side. But the same reason that you want to make my own was the very same reason I did, so thank you for doing this for your brother. I too want to keep my husband's dignity and I value myself on him looking nice and respectful. I got the towel from the dollar store and I have lots of shirting material. They are so easy. Let me know if you want me to send you one, so you can make your others from. Not a problem one bit. From one caregiver to another. hugs to you Jane. ;-)