4 Washcloth Hacks

$10

Everyone knows by now that I'm trying to teach myself to sew. While I would love to eventually use my machine for bigger, more elaborate projects, I can't help but get excited when I create functional items for everyday use. I've come across a lot of ideas online and I had to try my hand at these washcloth hacks!
4 washcloth hacks
SUPPLIES:
-pack of washcloths from Marshalls
-Brother sewing machine
-cutting mat
-Fiskar fabric cutter
-thread
-fabric measuring tape

Not pictured:
-funnel
-jasmine rice
4 washcloth hacks
HACK 1: Hot/cold pack
The first hack will come in handy if anyone in my household has a pain. These cute little packs are also great 'get well' gift ideas!
First, I cut the thick outer edge off of the washcloth using my fabric cutter. Then, I cut the washcloth into quarters. One washcloth makes two miniature hot/cold packs, or you can use two washcloths to make one large hot/cold pack.

4 washcloth hacks
Next, I used my sewing machine to sew two quarters together, leaving a small hole open (roughly a half inch). I then inserted a funnel inside the hole and filled the fabric with rice. I left enough room to be able to fold in the fabric and sew the hole shut.
4 washcloth hacks
To give these hot/cold packs as a gift, simply tie a coordinating ribbon around them both! You can throw these in the microwave to heat them up (I would heat them at 15 second intervals to ensure that the rice doesn't burn), or place them in the freezer to use them as cold packs.
4 washcloth hacks
HACK 2: Reusable Swiffer pad
This hack is definitely a money saver if you create several of them! If you're a Swiffer owner, you know that the sweeping and mopping pads can get a little pricey so these reusable pads can save you money while also keeping trash out of landfills.
First, I used my fabric cutter to cut a washcloth in half. Then I cut one half of the wash cloth in half again, creating two quarters, and finally I cut one of the quarters in half again which left me with two 3" pieces.
Next, I sewed the two 3" pieces to the half piece of the washcloth (the third picture in this sequence) and turned the fabric inside out.
4 washcloth hacks
Lastly, I inserted my Swiffer into the reusable pad.
You can use the pad dry in order to sweep or you can use your own mopping solutions to mop your floors. When you're finished, just throw the pad into the wash and use them again and again!
4 washcloth hacks
HACK 3: Travel pouch
I really love this hack as it could be a great Christmas stocking stuffer and useful for when I travel as well!
I took a washcloth and folded it up on itself about 3" (I used my own toothbrush as a guide to how far up I wanted my pockets to be). I used my sewing machine to sew the outer edge of the folded wash cloth.
The width of the washcloth was approximately 12" so I marked the pocket I create at 3", 6" and 9", then sewed a straight line at each mark. These straight lines created smaller pockets.
4 washcloth hacks
Lastly, I took two 6" pieces of ribbon (this ribbon was what the washcloths were tied with when I purchased the pack) and sewed them with their ends touching each other on the back outside edge (the pockets should be face down) of the washcloth.
4 washcloth hacks
To utilize this travel pouch, I simply placed an item in each pocket (toothbrush, floss wand, toothpaste, etc.) and rolled it up, then tied the attached ribbon to secure the rollup. Simple, compact and of course, cute!
4 washcloth hacks
HACK 1: Hanging soap pocket
This hack can be changed up depending on the brand of soap you use but the overall concept is great for those who don't want to hold on to slippery, slimy soap and/or to hang your bar of soap instead of it creating build-up in your shower caddy or tub.
First, I used my fabric cutter to cut the thick outer edge of a washcloth off of the top and bottom (you'll want to save this strip for later), then I cut the washcloth in half.
Note: I left the thick outer edge on the left and right of my piece of washcloth.
4 washcloth hacks
Next, I folded the left side of the washcloth in at 4" and the right side in at 3". Then, I sewed a straight line down both sides.
4 washcloth hacks
Lastly, I flipped my soap pocket inside-out and took a small strip of that outer thick edge I cut off earlier and sewed it to the inside edge of the pocket.
4 washcloth hacks
Whether you use this soap pocket to wash yourself with or just to have a way to keep soap scum from building up on your bathroom surfaces, it's a cute beginner sewing project to sharpen your skills or to do with your littles!

• Cle22798294

I've seen some hot/cold pks. made for the neck that are covered w/flannel-like material which is great because it's so soft & very comfortable. However, the one I loved so much doesn't have rice in it. It feels almost like a memory-foam pillow in a u-shape for the neck, as it is very light & feels sort of moldable. Hiwever, I don't think that could be microwaved for heat. Any ideas on amything lighter than rice for a filling that can be moldable where you want it, but also used for hot and cold?

• Mary

Vicky Corey

I also have Fibro, and have found that it is better to use a really warm compress, rather than hot, a really warm compress works with calming down those nerves and relaxing the surrounding muscles. Because when we hurt the way we do we get tense and usually stay that way until we find relief. and when hurting you need to take care of the surrounding muscles as well as those painful nerves. I have used the rice, as well as Flax seeds, with some lavender in the mix, the lavender smells good and it also will help you to relax as well. I make about a 10" sleeve to hold the contents and make an additional sleeve to use to cover the pack that way you can remove to wash and keep your pack clean also on 1 I attached some velcro so that I can wrap it where I need it and velcro it in place.

I hope that this helps you.

• Cle22798294

You could also use a light, thin flanne/fleecel or even reuse solid-color baby receiving blankets instead of washcloths for extra softness! is there something you can use on the "Swiffer covers" to provide more static cling to pick up dust better? I know usually you are trying to get rid of it, but this time you'd want it!

• Eileen Horan

Please do not use fleece or any other material that is not 100% cotton in the microwave. There is a huge risk of fire with those materials. Very Unsafe! I make these packs to sell so trust me. Also a lighter material to use is flaxseed but sometimes you need the weight of the rice to penetrate the muscle.

• Becky

Like the idea on those Swiffer deals. I personally don't use those as my husband does the mopping and we have a HUGE "Swiffer" we use. As far as those little rice pockets... how does one keep them sanitized?

• Eileen Horan

I agree with Td Plucker. I sell mine with a washable cover. Even if the bacteria is killed in the microwave, they get dirty looking from your skin's oils. So make the inside out of 100% cotton and the cover out of any pretty material but never put the cover in the microwave. Then wash only the cover. Never let the pack get damp.

• Beth Sherwood

If you add aroma therapy oil to whatever you put inside, it works for aroma therapy also! And smells great!

• Josephine Puente

i did the Swiffer cover with my Mr. Clean duster, because I have a hard time finding covers for it plus they cost like $3-$4 i used the dollar tree dish drying mats, works perfectly. for wet or dry messes.