Drink Soda? Save the Bottles for Perfect Shoe Storage!

$2

Are all of your sandals, flats, and flip flops tossed in the corner of your closet? Do you find it hard to keep pairs together? Well, I have a super easy way to keep them organized neatly and you get to recycle, too! Soda bottle shoe storage!
drink soda save the bottles for perfect shoe storage
As a professional organizer, I’d like to share one of my favorite FREE organizing tips today to help you get those shoes in order. I like to reuse items in my organizing rather than purchasing new (and sometimes expensive) storage pieces. (Which is why my business is called The Economical Organizer!)

First, save up those 2 liter bottles. My daughter and I both love Diet Coke, so it didn’t take us long to save up some bottles. If you don’t drink soda, ask family, friends, or co-workers if they would save a few empty 2 liter bottles for you. Make sure the bottle is clean and dry.
Cut the labels off the bottles. I used a utility knife, like these. (affiliate)
Using a utility knife or a pair of scissors, cut the top of the bottle off right where it begins to widen out. You want your organizer to basically be a uniform-sized cylinder.
And that's it! How easy is that??? Now, simply add the shoes. Sandals and flip flops just go right in. But, as you can see with flats, I put the shoes in the bottle with one shoe up and one shoe down.  I just found that made them easier to put in the bottle. (And in case you were wondering, this pair of shoes is size 7.5) If you have carpet and the bottles tip over, you can either lay a piece of cardboard down on your closet floor so they have a flat surface, or you can paper clip the tops of the bottles together so they form a long row that won't tip over as easily. See my tutorial here: https://www.lifecreativelyorganized.com/drink-soda-save-bottles-perfect-shoe-storage/

• Clean, dry 2 liter soda bottles
  • Utility knife or scissors

Pam Hoepner

• Arlene McKeon

Not a question, but perhaps an idea; what would happen if you screwed the top(screw on lid) to the shelf, cut the bottom of the bottle instead of the top, and then screwed the bottle onto the lid itself. It would be more permanent of course, but wouldn't tip over even with size 10 shoe. Otherwise a good idea.

• Pam Hoepner

One concern is that the top of the bottle is more narrow, so you may lose room to store the shoes if they are long... When you cut off the top, then the entire cylinder is roughly the same size.

1 comment