C. D. Scallan
C. D. Scallan
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Saint Amant, LA

Hanging Monogram

1 Material
$0

We have had a monogram hanging in our family room for the past few years that we purchased "as is" from a hobby store and ,quite frankly, it was rather blah. I set out this morning to create something that reflects more of me and my family's home and who we are. So the following is what I created with things that I dug out of my crafting supplies .
hanging monogram
This is what I started with: An "S" I cut out of an empty detergent box, self adhesive foam, floral foam, jute rope, scissors, hot glue gun and sticks, exacto knife.
First I free hand drew the S onto the cardboard and cut it out with the scissors . Then I stuck it onto to the self adhesive foam board to make it a little sturdier.
hanging monogram
Next I used a bread knife (oops, forgot to mention that in the list of supplies) to slice off pieces of the floral foam. No measurements here. I kinda eyeballed it.
hanging monogram
I used the hot glue gun to attach the pieces of foam to the cardboard because I wanted to add some volume. I only made my pieces about a quarter of an inch thick. If I were making another one, I'd go bigger than that, maybe a half inch or thicker.
hanging monogram
Okay now the fun part! I proceeded to scorch my fingertips off as I glued the jute rope around the monogram. Once again, hindsight is 20/20. If I were to make another one , I would probably use E6000, but once you're committed....
hanging monogram
This is what it looks like finished.
hanging monogram
And here's the finished product in our family room from some burlap ribbon.
Definitely an indoor hanging, but maybe next time I'll modify it to hang on the front door . I hope you like my tutorial and perhaps learned from my mistakes so that you can make your own monogram! Have a wonderful day all!

• Cardboard, jute rope, hot glue gun, exacto knife, scissors, self adhesive foam board, floral foam  (Had everything at home)