Nicole
Nicole
  • Tutorial Team
  • Frisco, TX

Rolling Work Bench With Storage

$75

I have a new mitre saw and needed a place to mount it. I also wanted it to be mobile so I could move it where I need it.
rolling work bench with storage
  • Started by gathering all the necessary lumber (details at end of post!). I wanted 3 shelves and the top shelf I wanted something that resembles butcher block. Found a great panel piece at Lowe's that seemed the perfect size.
  • The middle and bottom shelf didn't have to be fancy so I grabbed some precut pieces of plywood that were exactly the same size as the top panel.
  • The legs are standard 2x4s cut to 36"
rolling work bench with storage
Using 2" L-brackets I attached the 2x4s to make a corner. I made 4 of these, one for each corner.
rolling work bench with storage
I used a 1" thick piece of scrap lumber to raise my bottom shelf up about 1" off the floor. I situated the corner pieces around the bottom shelf and secured through each end with 2" wood screws.
rolling work bench with storage
I used scrap pieces of lumber again to hold up the middle shelf around 18" from the top. I secured these in around each side with wood screws.
rolling work bench with storage
I attached casters while I had the unit upside down. I did this before I attached the top shelf to ensure I didn't scuff up the top.
rolling work bench with storage
Since I didn't have a second person to hold the top shelf in place while I secured inside each corner, I decided to use extra pieces of lumber I had lying around in order to give me some extra length to attach the top.
rolling work bench with storage
I secured the top to the extra panels I just installed in prior step
rolling work bench with storage
I added a 1x2" apron around each side.

It's not the prettiest thing I've ever made but it certainly does the job!

I'll be mounting my mitre saw to the top and adding a few S-hooks in order to have some hanging storage.

• Large panels for shelves (3); 48"x24"  (Lowe's)
  • 2x4x3' (8) & 1x2x4' (1)  (Lowe's)
  • 2" L-brackets (8)  (Lowe's)

• Eva

Can make a island with this.. just little changes an little design would be nice .. ty
  • Jgl7933775

this is beautiful. Be proud!