Use Your Old CD Cases for Creative Wall Art

$20

Who doesn't have hundreds of CD lying around collecting dust? Turn those old cases into a unique work of art.
Can't part with your CD cases or don't have enough that are the same? You can buy empty, inexpensive cases at Walmart or Staples.
Begin by removing the CDs (save for another project :) and all of the paper.

Measure the CD case and make a template that fits inside of the cover.
Take a photo and enlarge it as big as you would like. I enlarged mine to 36" x 24". I had this done at Staples but you can print it out at home.
Turn your enlarged photo over and using your template, mark off the distance of each square.
Using a large ruler, draw lines to connect the marks made by the template
Cut out the squares using a X-Acto knife and a straight edge.
Once all of the squares are cut, turn them over and reassemble your photo.
Open a CD case and insert one square at a time into the case.
Place the cases back into place as you work.
Watch how quickly this art comes together in the video below.
Apply mounting square to the back of each CD case.
You can also use a 3M Command product if you don't want this art to be permanent.
Measure your wall and find the center point.
Using a level and chalk, mark the center point.
Gather your CD cases beginning with the middle row.
Beginning at the center point, adhere the CD case to the wall. This should be the center case of your art.
The cases will be spaced using the "spine" of the CD case (the area where there is no picture)
Continue adhering the cases along the center line.
Always begin the next row starting at the middle line.
To ensure that your spacing between the upper and lower cases is correct, break off a piece of "spine" from an extra case or make a template out of cardboard. If the broken piece has sharp edges, apply tape to the edges.
Using that broken piece of spine/template, lay it between the cases and ahere the next case to the wall.
Remove the broken piece of spine/template.
How did this project turn out? Watch the entire project unfold in the video below.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Here is the finished product! I love how this came out. It really gave a unique feel to the space.

16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada

• Sou33864255
    Sou33864255

hi. what can I make with cds?

• Kathy Hord
      Kathy Hord

I used old CDs in my garden I glued two together with twine in the middle. When they were dry I tied them high and low around my tomatoes. The birds stayed away and didn’t peck on my ripe tomatoes. Make sure the shines side is glued outwards to reflex the sun.

• Leanne
    Leanne

I winder how it would look if you used family photos and make an arrangement. I was thinking maybe if the case opens while still on the wall, you could change out the pictures. Love the huge photo idea.

• Llc
      Llc

By watching the video, I would think that the fronts WOULD open. WHAT A GREAT IDEA Leanne!!!! Definitely got the old wheels a rolling now!!! LOL. THANKS A MIL Alicia and Leanne!!!! HUGS!!!!

• Jeannie Berndt North
    Jeannie Berndt North

Great idea! Looks awesome!