Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Alicia W
Alicia W
  • Middletown, PA

Use Your Old CD Cases for Creative Wall Art

$20

Who doesn't have hundreds of CD lying around collecting dust? Turn those old cases into a unique work of art.
use your old cd cases for creative wall art
Can't part with your CD cases or don't have enough that are the same? You can buy empty, inexpensive cases at Walmart or Staples.
Begin by removing the CDs (save for another project :) and all of the paper.

Measure the CD case and make a template that fits inside of the cover.
Take a photo and enlarge it as big as you would like. I enlarged mine to 36" x 24". I had this done at Staples but you can print it out at home.
Turn your enlarged photo over and using your template, mark off the distance of each square.
Using a large ruler, draw lines to connect the marks made by the template
Cut out the squares using a X-Acto knife and a straight edge.
Once all of the squares are cut, turn them over and reassemble your photo.
Open a CD case and insert one square at a time into the case.
Place the cases back into place as you work.
Watch how quickly this art comes together in the video below.
Apply mounting square to the back of each CD case.
You can also use a 3M Command product if you don't want this art to be permanent.
Measure your wall and find the center point.
Using a level and chalk, mark the center point.
Gather your CD cases beginning with the middle row.
Beginning at the center point, adhere the CD case to the wall. This should be the center case of your art.
The cases will be spaced using the "spine" of the CD case (the area where there is no picture)
Continue adhering the cases along the center line.
Always begin the next row starting at the middle line.
To ensure that your spacing between the upper and lower cases is correct, break off a piece of "spine" from an extra case or make a template out of cardboard. If the broken piece has sharp edges, apply tape to the edges.
Using that broken piece of spine/template, lay it between the cases and ahere the next case to the wall.
Remove the broken piece of spine/template.
How did this project turn out? Watch the entire project unfold in the video below.
Here is the finished product! I love how this came out. It really gave a unique feel to the space.

• Diane

So now, what can I create with all those CDs that I no longer listen to or have downloaded?

• Pamrojo
      13 hours ago

You can actually make a really pretty wall clock. Decide on how large you want it, buy the clock 'innards' and then take CDs, either leave them original or spray paint them, put them in any shape you want - but make sure you leave enough room in the middle for the clock. It's really nice and the shapes/patterns you can make are endless.

• Sou33864255

hi. what can I make with cds?

• Alicia W

Hi Sou. Hometalk has lots of projects that you can use CDs. On the home page, just type in "cds" and they projects will generate.

• Leanne
    Yesterday

I winder how it would look if you used family photos and make an arrangement. I was thinking maybe if the case opens while still on the wall, you could change out the pictures. Love the huge photo idea.

• Mainiebets
    15 hours ago

Oh I LOVE this! Great idea. Thanks for sharing!!

• Susie
    6 hours ago

Awesome contemporary look! Very clever, will put this on my list, love it!