Turning Furniture Into Art With an Octopus Sketch

$75

A simple octopus sketch and an old piece piece of furniture together become a one of a kind piece of art. My recent obsession with octopuses inspired my latest piece of furniture...and anyone can create a piece of art. Here are my simple techniques using either an original sketch or a copy of your favorite image. Take a picture of your own sketch or save an image you find and copy onto transparency paper. Shine up on dresser. A projector allows you to make an image larger or smaller so you can fit your piece of furniture perfectly...and go bold! Oversized images are my favorite!
A simple sketch starts is where it starts. I drew my octopus long to fit the dimensions of the dresser I already had.
I always turn my sketch into a transparency. This way I can make my image larger or smaller with projector so it can fit the piece perfectly.
For this other project of mine, you can see how I use the projector. For this dresser, I used french ephemera from the Graphic Fairy.
Trace up your image with water color pencil in gray...any gray lines you don't remove act as a shadow line and add dimension.
I base coated my octopus in gold so when I distressed it would have dimension. I used random blues and teals and teals I had on hand to paint him.

27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
Debbie

• Elizabeth Sibus-Fischer
    Elizabeth Sibus-Fischer

What did you put on the Longer dresser? I think it looks better on the Taller one!

• Terry
      Terry

she was simply attempting to show you how to project the image you want to copy, using that picture as an example.  Read her content.

• Theresa Penrod
    Theresa Penrod

What happened to the dresser? Where did the chest of drawers come in at?

• Terry
      Terry

she was showing the way she projected on a project to draw the image. read the text.

• Sue
    Sue

What kind of paint did you use on the dressers and did you have to sand them? Mine are from the late 50s/early 60s two identical dressers and would love to paint them, but they have that shiny wood and I don't think paint will stick to it.

• Clare Whatmough
      Clare Whatmough

Hi Sue. You can lightly sand the dresser to provide some grip for the paint and then paint, and/or use an undercoat specially developed for hard-to-grip surfaces. Good luck!

• Susie
    Susie

Love any sea theme! Your project is fresh and just wonderful!

• Patricia
    Patricia

Beautiful!! There's a wonderful documentary on Netflix about a man studying an octopus! Worth watching. They are very intelligent!!