Lynnette Soltwedel
Lynnette Soltwedel
  • Tutorial Team
  • Spartanburg, SC

Custom Vanity

$100
Advanced

This vanity was rescued from an old house. We purchased it from the people that had been paid to clean out the house. It was sitting in the garage while I waited for inspiration to strike, when a lady who came to purchase a dresser (posted on here, the dresser with material on the sides) asked us to paint it to match a chest of drawers her grandmother had. So, here it goes....
custom vanity
The vanity was sitting on a flat bed trailer when we went to see it. Look at this beauty...just needed some love!
custom vanity
Wood glue and sanding....some pieces require a little extra love to give them a new life.
custom vanity
We had to replace to bottoms in a couple of the drawers, which we did after we sanded them down. Look at how nicely they sanded down!
custom vanity
Some of the intricate trim pieces had lost layers, so hubby to the rescue! He used wood putty to basically rebuild the broken pieces. Teamwork is the best!
custom vanity
Did I mention it was a custom order? Blue and gold...not what I would have chosen, but hey, the customer knows what they want! So, here I started painting the decorative pieces and drawers.
custom vanity
Here is one of the drawers with glaze on it...I decided glaze was a great option to tone down the brightness of the paint colors, and fill in the grooves at the same time.
custom vanity
Here I was working on the mirror. I laid the decorative trim on to see how it was going to look. I was a little under the weather, so hubby did the staining for me. It turned out a bit darker than I really wanted. We were putting original mirrors back on, so make sure you have some felt to use as cushion between mirrors and wood!!
custom vanity
And here she is all complete! Decided to paint side panels blue because that dark stain was too much for me. As usual, I forgot pictures of some of the steps...I really need to work on that. The hardware was cleaned up, painted oil rubbed bronze, I dry brushed a little gold on them, and then sealed with poly!
custom vanity
Here is a closer view of the base. I have to admit, she did turn out lovely.

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/nettesemporium/

• Linda Callies

Could you make a princess castle out of the turned upside down desk? at first sight I thought it looked like something my granddaughters would enjoy. Legs looked like torrents, side drawer openings could be made into several floors. Center front decorative strip could be raised to a chosen level to make entrance with a patio. I wish I was as creative as you all but I'll just have to be content to check out the DYI projects on the internet. By the way, you did a beautiful job on the blue & gold desk.

• Julia

I have a vanity just same style but draws have Kane onthem wood outlying, what do o do with the Kane?

• Candice Pownall

why upside down?i don’t get it

• Lynnette Soltwedel

Yea, I could see the confusion...hometalk might want to consider rewording that? That is out of my hands though, I don’t control any of that. Just the actual post is my wording. 😊

• Ashley

Beautiful!! It was already gorgeous to begin with, but I could never understand how someone could just dump a treasure like this!! Shameful...So glad you saved it!!

• Lynnette Soltwedel

They likely saw it as old and broken junk. We saw it as beauty... even if my client chose colors I wouldn’t have, I still believe it turned out nicely!

• Sandra

nice job