Mosaic Catio (Cat Patio) Project

$200
10 Weeks

The bricked-in area outside of our master bath will be a great place to design a patio for our cats...otherwise known as a catio. We started with a brainstorming session on ways to improve and transform the area and decided on a mosaic pattern for the concrete floor. (Our next project will be whitewashing the brick walls as you can tell they're very moldy and dirty). Update: We're using pool shock in water mixture for bleaching brick walls and it's working...still in progress, and they aren't yet perfect, but you can see pics if you scroll down.

Details of grouted work in progress
Before: Area outside Master Bath 8 x 18

We began by collecting every piece of leftover tile in the garage and even visited some tile shops where the owners gave us leftover and damaged pieces from their inventory.

We used colored chalk to make swirling designs just as a general outline. This probably isn't necessary, it just depends on the look you want.

After scrubbing down the concrete (the only prep we did), we began by simply placing the tile (without thin-set), being aware of the chalk lines created just to get a sense of the direction we wanted to go. We wanted more of an artsy organic look and we tried to keep it simple. It's important to stay laid back about projects or they don't flow. So...if you start getting stressed, stop doing it for a while.

Adding bits of colored plates and tiles

After tiles were in place, we began applying thin-set mortar from the back brick wall, moving backwards. You don't want to sit where you've just worked, so be aware of your starting place! (Removing any unnessesary cats as you go along)

Grout and thin-set need to be the consistency of brownie batter. That has worked best for us. If it's pancake batter consistency, it's too thin! :) You're welcome.

Helper Hazel
A little bit more progress (Delilah concurs)

Adding pics as I go along. Aug 13th-This is the progress we made today. (Slight film of grout still visible. Takes a few wipes before all the grout is cleaned off)

Dirty brick wall BEFORE applying shock

It's August 16th and I've decided to share a secret. Bleach didn't work too well, but pool shock does wonders for moldy dirty brick walls. We (Tom, actually) mixed some pool shock in water, applied with a paint roller, and scrubbed with a broom. Here's a BEFORE pic. Below is an AFTER pic. It's still not complete, but better. (Most likely, we will still whitewash the walls)

Dirty brick wall AFTER applying pool shock
Batman in his catio

This catio patio is still a work in progress. We have to consider replacing the pergola that is damaged above the catio (we're thinking about a canopy type material, but suggestions are welcomed) and we still have to whitewash the brick walls. I'll keep you posted!

An almost finished catio! Had a few setbacks during Hurricane Harvey, but finished grouting the rest on Monday and then rolled pool shock (mixed with water) on the brick walls. We might whitewash the brick, still undecided. Now to finish with a trip to the plant store to buy fresh herbs, catnip and some edible flowers that are cat friendly and nourishing.  If you have specific questions, just let me know.

Thank you all for following this project and please keep in touch.

~gail, tom and cats.

PS Since this Pandemic has enveloped the world and changed our entire lives, we distracted ourselves with a new mosaic walkway project. It turned out great! I have attached a link to see how we did it. (Part 3 of 3) Please go subscribe to our channel and add some comments or questions on ANY of our videos! We have all sorts of fun videos to share! Just our attempt to share some light and give you ideas for something fun to do! We’re musicians and also have many music covers. Thank you!

Mosaic front walkway project

This is a Covid-19 project, part 3 of 3. It has been a pleasant distraction from all the grim news lately. We had some leftover tiles and grout in the garage, so why not put them to good use. :)

You can do this too! (Do more fun things)

Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See

To see more: https://youtu.be/QxPGsFfU3Ns

• Barb Herries

I hope you whitewash the wall. That will be so cool !!

• Gail

Does your patio area have an open top? Do you get rain inside of it. I have a very similar patio and mine does get rain and has a drain hole in the bottom for water to run out. It stays fairly wet as i have plants on a drip system. My walls have moss in the summertime. Please update this so we see the long term results.

• Ticia

So when you used the pool shock mixed with water, did you rinse or wipe it off? I have a stone fireplace and am wondering if that mixture might clean it up a little as over the years, some of it has darkened and soap doesn't seem to get it off. What volume did you use of the shock to water? Thanks for the info.

• Gail bixler

Tricia, I would NOT use pool shock indoors. It's just too strong. If the fireplace is outdoors, I'd just use 1/2 cup of pool shock in a gallon (or two) of water. We used a paint roller (on an extension rod to keep it further from face) and just rolled it on, left it for a few hours, then rinsed it with a water hose. On some brick it might take a couple of times. Be sure to use a face mask (some kind of respirator that is for organic vapors) if it is in an enclosed section of your home. Our catio has walls or glass on all 4 sides, so we needed to use masks.

• Chris Olechoski-Schmidt

Love love love love love!! I want to do this in my entryway. We just moved in about 7 months ago and I'm so over the white 12x12 tiles that are here. It is absolutely stunning! And I watched the video for your sidewalk! It too is awesome!! Both fit my taste and personality!! And thank's for the video's of the kitty's and Maizie. Enjoyed watching them.

• Baba

My laundry room floor is cement so I’m thinking this is a great idea for in there. I will need to get tile from the rehab store and ask friends for their left overs.