IKEA Hack: Turn Your Kallax Into a Bench With This No-sew Cushion

$50

We’ve had an IKEA Kallax shelving unit for a few years now. (Doesn’t everyone have an IKEA Kallax? I love these things.) It first held toy bins in our main level playroom, and then we moved it to the basement where it plays a similar role. I recently decided to turn it on its side, and then figured I’d make it into a bench to add some extra seating for the kids or adults, which is especially useful when we

ikea hack turn your kallax into a bench with this no sew cushion
Kate Decorates

• Pmr18361705

the bench is great. where did you get the pompom string hanging on the wall?

• Candy Richardson

They are big wooden beads that are strung on some type of string.

• Kate Decorates

Hi there -- Those aren't beads. It's a strand of felt garland that I purchased from The Land Of Nod. Hope that helps!

• Cindy Roehm

I just saw felt garland at Hobby Lobby this past weekend.

• Kate Decorates

Oh, Hobby Lobby would be an awesome place to get some felt garland! Etsy also has plenty of sellers with felt garland, too.

• Amber Ann Rolak-Wilson

Where'd ya purchase the cushion Material?

• Kate Decorates

Hi Amber! The material is part of the Nate Berkus fabric line, and it was purchased at JoAnn Fabrics last winter.

• Trudy Coyle

Beautiful job, lovely bench. I sew so I'd probably do a sewn cover with a zipper so I could remove it for washing, especially in the grandchildren's room. Little finger smudges and such. Great idea for a no sew version though, turned out great.

• Kate Decorates

Thanks, Trudy! Totally agree that it would be great to have a bench with a removable cushion cover so that cleaning it is easier. I need to learn to sew. :)

• Barbara

I have purchased several yards of wonderful material at either of my Local Walmarts and the price is great