IKEA Hack: Turn Your Kallax Into a Bench With This No-sew Cushion

$50

We’ve had an IKEA Kallax shelving unit for a few years now. (Doesn’t everyone have an IKEA Kallax? I love these things.) It first held toy bins in our main level playroom, and then we moved it to the basement where it plays a similar role. I recently decided to turn it on its side, and then figured I’d make it into a bench to add some extra seating for the kids or adults, which is especially useful when we have play dates with multiple kids and families in our basement.

Well, I consulted my dear friend Google in an attempt to find a sturdy, Kallax-sized cushion, and guess what? Oh yes, they are available on Etsy…..for anywhere from $150 to $200.

I decided there had to be an easy way for me to make one for a fraction of the cost.

And I’m excited to tell you that I did make my own cushion, and it was so, so simple. My version cost me about $50, a trip to the fabric and hardware stores, and about 30 minutes of time.

Much better than the alternative, right?! The best part is that there was NO SEWING REQUIRED! (I can barely sew a button on a shirt, so this was excellent news.)

Here's what you'll need for this project:

• One piece of MDF board, cut to the size of your Kallax
  • One piece of 3″ multi-purpose foam
  • About 3 yards of good quality fabric of your choice
  • Fabric scissors
  • A serrated kitchen knife
  • A heavy duty staple gun

For the full tutorial and more photos, visit my blog at KateDecorates.co: https://www.katedecorates.co/easy-diy/ikea-hack-turn-kallax-bench-easy-no-sew-cushion/

3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Kate Decorates

• Pmr18361705

the bench is great. where did you get the pompom string hanging on the wall?
    • Candy Richardson

They are big wooden beads that are strung on some type of string.
    • Kate Decorates

Hi there -- Those aren't beads. It's a strand of felt garland that I purchased from The Land Of Nod. Hope that helps!
    • Cindy Roehm

I just saw felt garland at Hobby Lobby this past weekend.

• Kate Decorates

Oh, Hobby Lobby would be an awesome place to get some felt garland! Etsy also has plenty of sellers with felt garland, too.
  • Amber Ann Rolak-Wilson

Where'd ya purchase the cushion Material?
    • Kate Decorates

Hi Amber! The material is part of the Nate Berkus fabric line, and it was purchased at JoAnn Fabrics last winter.

• Trudy Coyle

Beautiful job, lovely bench. I sew so I'd probably do a sewn cover with a zipper so I could remove it for washing, especially in the grandchildren's room. Little finger smudges and such. Great idea for a no sew version though, turned out great.
    • Kate Decorates

Thanks, Trudy! Totally agree that it would be great to have a bench with a removable cushion cover so that cleaning it is easier. I need to learn to sew. :)

• Barbara

I have purchased several yards of wonderful material at either of my Local Walmarts and the price is great