Magnetic Paper Bins From Cereal Boxes

$1

Does the outside of your refrigerator serve as a giant family bulletin board?

Like most families, my family tends to hang the most important reminders on the fridge so we won’t forget about or lose them. The irony is the outside of the fridge is so chaotic we often end up overlooking what we were trying to keep in front of our eyes. If this is you, maybe it’s time to organize the outside of your fridge.

Ch
does the outside of your refrigerator serve as a giant family bulletin
Our fridge is covered in everything from kids’ artwork, memos from school, to Kohl’s coupons that expired 3 months ago.  All of this paperwork is beautifully affixed to the fridge with our collection of magnetic vacation souvenirs and about ¾ of a set of alphabet magnets.

If you have a full set of alphabet magnets, I salute you.

Organizing this mess is where the cereal box turned paper storage bin comes to the rescue.  They are super simple to make and have already made a huge difference in uncluttering our fridge.

I created two different sizes—the cereal box is a great size for a paper organizer and a saltine cracker box is perfect as a letter tray.  With all the different sizes of cereal and cracker boxes, your options are endless.
Cut the top flaps off the box.  An X-acto knife or rotary cutter are helpful, but scissors work fine too.

Cut the front of the box down so that the back is a couple of inches higher than the front.  You want it low enough to make it easy to flip through your papers without having to take them all out, but high enough to keep the loose papers from falling over.

It’s helpful to stick a piece of paper or mail in the box to see how they fit.  Cut the back and front down further if needed.
Cut the sides so that they angle from front to back.
Using contact paper, cover all the outward facing parts of the box.  I wrapped the contact paper from side to side with just a little overlap that wrapped around to the back.

There is no need to cover the entire back since this part won’t show when hanging.  Don’t forget to put contact paper on the bottom and any part inside that is visible.
Using a hot glue gun, glue magnets to the back of the box.  Hold firmly for a few seconds until the glue dries.
That’s it! Hang those bad boys up and enjoy an uncluttered fridge!

Check out the full tutorial with additional pictures here.
Amie

• Rejay

I certainly will. You are making it practically of no cost; for every home should have these items on hand. With the setup that I have with my fridge, this will work spectacular for me.

• Jeanne Creel

Wow! super idea especially with school age children.