I have a front patio that is painted black - What products can I use

+4
I have a black front patio and would like to change it. I read about stamping, coating etc. but believe most of these options apply to "cement color" patios. What can I use/do if my patio is already black? Would like to incorporate a southwestern look if possible.

• Terry Lee Dorkins Terry Lee Dorkins on Aug 10, 2017
    We had a particularly ugly painted porch in our past, and ended up adding a layer of quarry tile on top... problem solved... no paint required.
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Aug 10, 2017
    Brick and Tile Paint
  • Janet Panos Janet Panos on Aug 10, 2017
    Had a similar porch problem -- used outdoor tile (porcelain, not ceramic) that is slip-resistant from the nearby home improvement store. Important: be sure to use the professional grade, all-weather adhesive for outdoor use.
  • Pjo26908388 Pjo26908388 on Aug 10, 2017
    Black is wonderful base color! Just find out what type of paint it is (acrylic or oil.) If it is acrylic then stencil or paint over the black, you may want a grey or colored primer to make it easier to achieve your final design.

If the paint is oil based you'll need a primer that will stick to the areas you want to stencil and then you can add your design. Hopefully they used an exterior mason ary paint, but you never know!

Since you are looking for a Southwest theme, painting stripes to mimic a rug might look nice and isn't to hard. Tape off the areas where you want stripes and go for it. Then you can stencil on top of the stripes.

You can find great inspiration on pintrest, or you may have a great design in a blanket of home furnishing you wish to copy.

Have fun!
  • Sharon Sharon on Aug 10, 2017
    You can strip it off using paint stripper, or you can power wash it off. Then I believe what you are asking is about concrete stain. https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=concrete+stains+at+home+depot&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    You can paint it in a design too with concrete paint.
  • Jen Jen on Aug 10, 2017
    You can stencil it or draw out your own southwest pattern, and paint over it.