What can I do about a Shower drain clog?

+4
  • Kathleen Finan Kathleen Finan on Aug 10, 2017
    What I would do is take baking soda & white vinegar & pour about a cup of each down the drain & let it sit for awhile, then run hot water down it. You'll be amazed. Also when you start the water the mixture will bubble. And thats what you want. I would also do that every 3 to 4 wks. Works like a charm.
    Hope this helps you.
  • Pat Pat on Aug 10, 2017
    Most likely it is hair....that is what clogs ours up so we finally put a screen (like screen on a door) under the drain plate and clean it out every so often. Our plumber told us to pour cloryx down the drains once a month, which we do in our washing machine, kitchen sink, tub, shower and bathroom sink. Haven't had any problems so far.
  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Aug 10, 2017
    I bought hair grabbers - they are a long narrow wand with barb like protrusions. You work them down into the drain and then pull the hair clog out. It works well on my bathroom sink, also. You can buy them online or at a local store with plumbing supplies. Most of the time, human hair that is shed in the shower or sink gets stuck in the drain and then soap pieces, etc. (and gunk) build up on it.
  • Plunge it. Or if you have a drain snake, or can borrow one, I would try that before hiring a plumber.
  • Linda Hamlett Childress Linda Hamlett Childress on Aug 10, 2017
    Ugh. I had to unscrew the plug and first clean it (double ugh). Then use a snake the clean out junk. I then use the typical vinegar and baking soda followed by hot water.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Aug 10, 2017
    there is a gadget that is very small to unclog the hair from drains.Most home improvements stores sell them
  • Susan K Mullins Susan K Mullins on Aug 10, 2017
    I know it expensiv, but I would find a reputable plumber for the job.