How-To Video: Simple Bench Upholstery With No Sewing Required

$225

I recently went through the steps to build and finish (follow the link to get the steps to build the bench) my Chunky Leg, Farmhouse Bench. Today, we are topping that bench off with an easy upholstered seat. This DIY Upholstered Bench Plan is a pretty simple build with the right tools and a little experience. And how awesome is that end result?!
I have to admit, I was a little worried about ordering fabric from Amazon. It’s the kind of thing you’d normally want to see in person, but this fabric is just beautiful and so strong. I am absolutely planning to use it on a couple more projects. But let’s wrap up this one first.
Also, I really recommend checking Amazon for the foam padding too. It was less than half the price of JoAnn's (sorry JoAnn's but you charge too much for foam). I have links to my foam, fabric, and batting on my site. So, follow the link to get the full details. :)
Follow the link above to see how I built this bench. This bench started with turned legs I won as part of a building contest and wood you can get at Lowe's or HD or your local lumber supply.
I cut a 1/2" thick MDF board to size, then used that as a guide to mark the cut lines on the foam.
An electric knife is best on foam, but my bread knife worked too.
This video walks you through how I used a 1/2" thick board, foam padding, and batting under the fabric. A basic staple gun holds the fabric in place.
Watch the video for full details.
After screwing the upholstered board onto the bench, it was all finished. This big bench works great at the end of my bed.
I love those chunky legs and that extra bit of storage.
Works in the entry, living, and dining rooms too. :)

Stephanie Abbott

• Chops Solomon

I don’t have a question. I just wanted to say that the picture on the wall with the boats is gorgeous!

• Justine Reeter

how did you screw the board to the bench? From bottom or top? Small screws or ?

• Veronica

How thick can you purchase. Foami need about 5’’ inch thickness firm density