How to Make a No-Sew Drop Cloth Crib Skirt

$13

Are the words no-sew magic to your ears too? Then let me introduce you to our new no-sew drop cloth crib skirt that I recently created for my baby girl's nursery. This was the perfect way to achieve the linen look for less. No need to dress a crib? No worries, this tutorial could be adapted for bed skirts too!
First, I measured the front and sides of my crib and cut my scrap pieces to length (I cut the front piece slightly shorter to accommodate for the two side pieces). Then I placed the wood on top of the mattress spring.

To figure out how much drop cloth material I needed to make the skirt, I just simply laid the drop cloth out in the crib and eye balled where I wanted the skirt to hit the floor at. Using the measuring tape, I measured the drop cloth both vertically and horizontally. Once I had my measurements, I added a few more feet and inches to each number to accommodate for the gathering and pleating (you can see more of a breakdown on my measurements and math over on the blog. Please see link below!)
After all the math was done, I removed the drop cloth from the crib, laid it out on the floor, and carefully measured and cut everything out. I was then left with 3 crib "panels"; 2 for the sides and 1 for the front of the crib (since our crib is pushed up against the wall, I didn't bother adding the skirt to the back).

Pleating and stapling the drop cloth down to the wood boards is the final step!
After I completed stapling down all of the pleats, I placed the mattress back in the crib, added a sheet, and then stood back and enjoyed my new "linen-inspired" ruffled crib skirt!
It's the perfect addition to my little one's nursery. See more pictures and the full detailed tutorial over on the blog.

15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
Delightfully Noted

• Kathie

Don't the boards make the mattress set unevenly in the crib?
    • Gail

I did this is a similar manner years ago to a daybed for my daughter. I made the skirt on a sleeve that i pulled over the board. then i could remove it to wash it. It did require sewing which i have no problem with.

• Jeannie Carle

I'm thinking this is adorable - but,,,,, eventually it will need washed. What then?
    • Christie Decker

How about instead of stapling the drop cloth, you sew velcro to the back of it, and staple the velcro to the boards, leaving you with the ability to remove it for washing? That was my thought as I looked at the instructions, it needs to be removable for washing...and how I thought I would do it. Blessings.

• Beth

Did you know that these drop cloths are NOT FIRE RETARDANT? You can, however, purchase fire retardant spray at Joann's and remove the skirt, spray down it down, and re-attach it.

• Beth

This is Beth. I would like to amend my comment from Nov. 2018 after having done some research. Catherine is absolutely right; flame retardant chemicals have been linked to all kinds of problems in children. I would, therefore, NOT recommend spraying flame retardant on anything used around children.

• Sherry

I wonder if I could do the same thing with an extra flat sheet.

• Christie Decker

I am very sure you could. Find one that has a print that matches your theme, how sweet would that be? Blessings!

• Gayle

Great job.. very pretty