Easy Exterior House Cleaning Method

$70

Last spring we FINALLY cleaned the siding at Steph's house. We used a pump-up sprayer for the cleaner we used. Part way through the cleaning, we discovered Ryobi had a battery powered chemical pump sprayer. We were very interested as the pump-up sprayer was proving to be a tedious, fatiguing option.

Fast forward to our recent trip to a DIY conference where we learned more about the Ryobi sprayer and ended
easy exterior house cleaning method
Here are the products we used- Wet & Forget and the Ryobi Cordless chemical sprayer. Wet & Forget is used by just spraying it on a dirty surface and forgetting about it! The rain works over weeks and months to keep the surface clean. We bought the product months ago and finally wanted to give it a try!
Watch the video for full how-to!

Sign-up for our newsletter here to see more projects from us!
easy exterior house cleaning method
The lid to the filling cup is also a measure. For the Wet & Forget, the mix is 1 part Wet & Forget and 4 parts water. The tank will hold one gallon of liquid. (tip- don't use any bleach containing product in the sprayer as it will wear away the hose.)

Once the battery is in place, pull the trigger, aim, and spray. The nozzle is adjustable to different spray patterns.
easy exterior house cleaning method
We not only sprayed the siding, but the planter bricks and some of the patio.
easy exterior house cleaning method
We sprayed that top row and part of the second row with the Wet & Forget.

One week later, the planter bricks and the patio are noticeably cleaner. Visit our website to see the progress pictures!
easy exterior house cleaning method
The Ryobi One+ 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Chemical Sprayer really takes the effort out of using a chemical sprayer. If you use a sprayer fairly frequently, this may be perfect for you, especially if you've already bought into the Ryobi One+ system as the batteries work in this tool and all the tools in the system!

The next test for this sprayer will be at my (Vicki) house to use inside. I have a large walk in shower that's difficult to clean because there's no hand-held sprayer so washing down the walls consists of me throwing water onto the areas I've cleaned. That's not really very efficient! I'll report back on how it works to rinse down shower walls.

We will also keep you updated to how the Wet & Forget is working! We will probably go ahead and spray the rest of Steph's siding to get a bigger picture of how well the product works!

• Ryobi Cordless Sprayer  (Home Depot)
  • Wet & Forget  (Home Depot)
Mother Daughter Projects

• Ann

Will the spray reach the second floor outside? What did it cost?

• It didn't quite reach all the way to the top. I don't remember the exact cost of the cleaner but there is a link on our website to the product we used.

• John McGee

I have a pale yellow siding and it seems that every year I have to power wash it. Is there a way to keep it clean so that i do't have to power wash every year or be able to rinse it off with a hose

• Oliva

Hi, John,

If your home gets dirty due to algae growth, you could try attaching strips of copper along the roof ridge, as copper will fight algae growth.

Alternatively, the Wet n' Forget takes 6-12 months to be effective, but will make your siding's algae growth slow down considerably. You apply it with a garden hose attachment, but never a power washer, to avoid the possibility of forcing water under the siding, encouraging rot.

Unfortunately, algae growth is aggravated by airborne spores and a fungus spread from mulch placed within 10' of your home.