Asked on Aug 12, 2017

How doable is installing chair railings? How do you maintain precision

Linda SikutTerryClaudettechander0
+16

• Gary B
    Gary B

Just about anybody can install chair rail. You will need some tools, so get the good ones, not the most expensive but not the cheep ones. A stud finder is going to help a lot and you may be able to rent a finish nailer and a miter saw. Precision is easy to maintain by measuring from the ceiling down to the bottom of the rail. I use a chalk box, blue chalk not red (red doesn't paint over so easily and dust the line before you snap it, less is better. You can do it
  • Sharon
    Sharon

I will add a level and a carpenters tape measure, and ifs someone you know has a laser level that would be a big plus.
    • Sharon
      Sharon

Oh, and a mitre box and saw to do the corners precisely and to join any pieces at a 45 degree angle vs 90 degree makes it less obvious 2 pieces have been joined.
  • Suzette
    Suzette

Hi Claudette, It's very doable! Here's a how to video: https://www.todayshomeowner.com/video/how-to-install-chair-rail-molding/

You can do it!! :)
  • Terry
    Terry

Chair railing is easy to put up. You need a witness stick,( a 2x4 that you use to measure from the ceiling to where you want the rail) and a pencil marking the spot. You use the ceiling to measure since all floors are not even and if you measure from the ceiling, it looks straight. The hardest part is cutting the ends at a correct 45 degree angle. Get some scrap wood and practice cutting. You have to have a miter saw! Now if you think you want to try this, contact me and I will give you a tip on the cutting.
    • Claudettechander0
      Claudettechander0

Thank you for your advice. I am getting a basic laser measure to help with measuring from the ceiling. Will start by marking the walls where the chair rails are to go. Yes, I will get a miter saw, and yes I think its a good idea to practice with it first. Thank you.
  • Claudettechander0
    Claudettechander0

Thank you. Have to look in to that; I have a regular small one, and a stud finder. Am also getting a laser measure.
  • Claudettechander0
    Claudettechander0

Thank you for all the feedback. It has helped answer most questions. Need to actually get down to starting the project to gain some confidence.
  • Linda Sikut
    Linda Sikut

If you don't have equipment, pick up a mitre box with an old-fashioned saw. It's not what a pro would use, but it should be able to do the job. They are not very expesive.

Hope that helps!
  • Claudettechander0
    Claudettechander0

Thank you Linda.
  • Terry
    Terry

You are so welcome. laser is a great idea. I guess I am just a little old school. Good luck....
  • Linda Sikut
    Linda Sikut

Get a mitre box with a saw. They are basic tools and not very expensive.