How to get a straight edge when painting a two-tone garage?

+4
  • Chalk line it! I use a yardstick to draw your line. Use a stready hand or use painters tape.
  • DesertRose DesertRose on Aug 12, 2017
    We always use a laser beam to get a chalk line marked. After painting on color, use painting tape to tape the edge using a laser to get it straight and paint again. the Tape will hide any minor "oops" of not keeping on the straight line. Hope this helps!
  • Chas' Crazy Creations Chas' Crazy Creations on Aug 12, 2017
    I used painters tape to make clean straight lines and it worked great.
  • Suzann Suzann on Aug 12, 2017
    Use a level to mark the line where you want the two colors to meet. You can't just measure from the floor up or from the ceiling down for the line because they are not always level. It is easier to paint one section of the wall before marking and taping the line. That way you only need to tape once. When painting the first section go a little beyond where you want the separation so there won't be any gaps that you will have to touch it up later. Give that first painting at least 24 hrs. or more to dry before marking the line. Be sure to tape over the section you just painted. This is a painters tip that I have used and it works so well. Using the paint color that you have already used on the wall and a paint brush lightly paint (using a dry brush method) with brush strokes going over the tape where the line meets. This fills in any small gaps that are left under the tape. Believe me, no matter how well you press the tape there are always gaps that you have to go back and fix. Then paint the second section. Good luck. If you have any questions just ask.
  • Ptrish Ptrish on Aug 12, 2017
    depending on length of wall I might invest in a small piece of wood molding to act as a large straight edge and then paint to hide imperfections