Mail Sorter Makeover
There has been this beat up cardboard mail sorter that I've had my eye on at my office. On Friday, it was going to be thrown out and my friend offered it to me. I grabbed it and took it home. I don't know why, but it just looked like something that could be salvaged for a more beautiful life. I am now the happy owner of a really cute mail sorter.
This was what I took home. If you notice, I turned it upside down. That's because the top was sagging so bad that I figured it would be more stable this way. It's your basic, run of the mill mail sorter. The edges are pretty ratty, but otherwise, it's in good shape.
I spent nothing on this project. Above are the supplies I used - all taken from my stash of papers and supplies. I'm not even sure where that paper came from - it mysteriously appeared one day when I was cleaning the basement. I used 6 different patterns, 2 pieces of each. The patterns all coordinated nicely but were very different from each other.
I measured everywhere I was going to glue down paper and then cut my papers to size.
I began with sides, moved on to the top, and finished with the shelves. First I applied a coat of Mod Podge to one section at a time. I then smoothed on the paper, making sure the edges were firmly in place before moving on to another section.
This is one side completed.
I removed the plastic edging from the shelves and set it aside. You need this edging to stabilize the shelves, so don't lose it.
I applied Mod Podge to the front edges of the shelves and then also to the backs of the papers I was lining them with.
I put two coats of Mod Podge on the top and sides of the sorter to protect the papers and then I replaced the black plastic edging on the shelves. This looks much better, but there's still room for improvement.
I applied a coordinating tape to the front divider, and all of the edges of the sorter to give it a finished look.
Here she is. I almost hate to put anything in those slots!
- 12 x12 cardstock - various patterns
- Mod Podge
- Mail Sorter