DeeDee
DeeDee
  • Decatur, TX

Builder Grade Door Makeover - Saving $$$

$20

We've been steadily working on our Entry Hall Makeover. Last week I shared how we installed the wood look tile ourselves. You can find that post HERE.
builder grade door makeover
This week I'll show you how to save a lot of money and make over your builder grade door and hardware to give it a more up to date look.
builder grade door makeover
That lovely brown door up above is the one I wanted to make over so it would look more 2017 than 1982!  These doors are very cheap and flimsy, but we are on a tight budget and can't afford to swap them out right now, so paint it is!
builder grade door makeover
We started by removing the door and all the hardware.  Oh, the hardware is getting a make over too because yall, the new stuff is so spendy!  We have champagne taste on a beer budget! lol!

Grab a piece of cardboard first.  A handy tip to paint your screw heads, just screw all the screws into a piece of wood so they are standing up and it makes for easy painting that way.  Lay out everything else far enough apart so you can get all the sides and edges.  Tape off the working parts of the door knob because you don't want paint on that.  I also use little blocks of scrap wood to prop up the small things so I can better spray them.  Use light, thin coats.  Let each coat dry really well, don't rush it.  I used about 3 coats on each side.
builder grade door makeover
I cleaned the door really well to get all the dust and whatnot off of it, then I used a roller and some Sherwin Williams HGTV HOME high Gloss paint in Extra White that we bought at Lowe's to give the door a nice new shine.
builder grade door makeover
Next, while the door was drying, I was back inside the house and painting the orange toned trim around the door.  TIP: Use foil to line your paint tray for a faster clean up.  Be sure to tape off all the areas that you do not want white paint on...like your brand new wood look tile!  I also put down my painting drop cloth, because I am a messy painter.  I like using my small angle brush and a small roller, but you can use what you're comfortable with.
builder grade door makeover
I love how fresh it looks now.  Amazing what a little paint does huh?

Please visit our blog for even more details and pictures!

To see the baseboard project go HERE.

Thanks for looking! :)

• High Gloss Paint  (Lowe's)
  • Spray Paint in ORB  (Lowe's)
  • Paint Brush  (Our stash)
DeeDee

• Mag14578366

Where does the stained glass come in?? I missed that part, how did you do that?

• Marge

Suggestion, when you can afford it, New trim around both doors. Something wider with a curved face. It will make a world of difference. Great job on the door.

• Ann forsberg

what color are the walls painted

• DeeDee

Hi there! The color is called Thin Ice from Home Depot. It's a very light shade of gray and I love it!

• Diana Deiley

I absolutely love what you did. Looks beautiful. I too suggest caulking around the door frame for a finished look. Did you do the walls? That too is a great look. Thanks for sharing with all of us. p.s. my nickname is DeeDee

• DeeDee

Hi Diana! DeeDee is my nickname as well. Yes, my father in law did the walls for us. Thank you for the lovely comments!!

• Kay

Caulking is an art in itself!! A good caulk job makes a huge difference. we painted our doors and added trim to give a paneled effect.