Error loading player:
No playable sources found

Window Pane Door Turned Picture Frame

$5

One man's trash is another man's treasure. That quote pretty much sums up mine and Rob's life lately! A few months ago we had a new neighbor move in across the street who apparently did some sort of renovation on the inside of their house. Over the span of a few weeks, we'd see interior doors and other things piled up on the street corner. One day, Rob came home with an old Dutch door from the street corner
window pane door turned picture frame
Here's one side of the top of the Dutch door. I originally thought I would go with the red side but after seeing the other side (you'll see it later in the steps...it's the white side) and how the sander nicely chipped the paint to give it a shabby chic look, I decided to stick with the other side.
window pane door turned picture frame
STEP 1: REMOVE HARDWARE AND METAL WEATHER STRIP
First, I removed all hardware from the reclaimed window pane door. I used a screw gun/drill to remove the hinges and a few other pieces of hardware. You can replace them once you’re finished sanding if you feel they will add character to your picture frame.
window pane door turned picture frame
If you have a weather strip on your window pane door, watch the video to see one option of removing it.
window pane door turned picture frame
STEP 2: SAND
Next, I used a DeWalt orbital sander to sand both sides of the door. The previous owner had painted one side of the door red and the other was white. I originally thought I’d just rough up the red side a bit and keep it red but once I got to sanding, I liked the white side much better. You can really add character with the sander so just roll with it—I went along the edges of the door and panes and chipped off areas of the paint to give a worn look. If you’re not a fan of rustic and worn, simply sand the window and paint it with whatever color you like—I would recommend Behr Primer/Paint. You’ll want to use painter’s tape to block off the glass before you paint.
window pane door turned picture frame
STEP 4: ADD PHOTOS
Finally, it was time to add photos to my reclaimed frame. From the back of the frame, I placed my photos in the center of each pane and used restickable tabs to secure them to the glass.

window pane door turned picture frame
Because of the weird size of the panes, you could also put the photos down and then use scrapbooking paper to fill in the rest of the glass behind the photos. You can still use invisible tape or restickable tabs for the photos themselves and then mounting spray to adhered the scrapbooking paper.
window pane door turned picture frame
A helpful tip to follow would be to mock up where you want your photos first before flipping your frame over and placing them with the tabs. Check out how I solve the problem of a missing glass pane in the video below!
I took the measurement I got between the two studs and marked the back of my picture frame, then installed two D-rings where those mark were made.
window pane door turned picture frame
Here's how it came out!

• Sun10812847

but you can do other things with window?

just bought 5at garage sale and one I sanded but left all hardware on and put mirrors in window panes. stained and put a flower box at bottom with artifical
    flowers it is just perfect

• The ideas for repurposed windows are endless. I've done a painting in one, I've used one to make a coffee cabinet, you can have a glass-less one and put chicken wire behind it to hang things from...the list goes on and on.

• Sandy

i Have a perfect window but it smells musty. Any way I can get rid of smell?

• Theresa Scott

I’ve had luck with just sitting out in the hot, dry St. Louis sun when the humidity is low. It was a last ditch effort, & worked on a few pieces of old wood. I love old windows hung on existing walls!;) Love the extra tips I read here too! 🌺🇺🇸

• Shirley Adkins

what exactly did you use to hang the door on the wall?