Replacing electrical outlet receptacle

We recently put a new back splash in our kitchen and now the electrical outlet receptacle does not fit. How can we move the receptacle to be flush with the new back splash tiles?
q replacing electrical outlet receptacle
  6 answers
  • Jim Castelize Jim Castelize on Aug 14, 2017
    Home Depot sells spacers that you can add around them

  • Kim Carpenter Fey Kim Carpenter Fey on Aug 14, 2017
    Your local home improvement store ( Lowes, Home Depot ) should have spacers that fit behind the outlet to make it flush with the backsplash.

  • Kym Kym on Aug 14, 2017
    There is a tiny little trick to this, very cheap and works like a charm! At Home Depot or Lowes in the electric aisle, you can find plastic bags of spacers or shims. They look like bright green bits of plastic with holes in them. Accordion together as many as you need to get the thickness you need. First, TURN OFF THE BREAKERS so you're not working with a live outlet. Remove the cover of your outlet, unscrew the anchor screws at the top and bottom of the outlets. The spacers or shims will be slid onto the screw before putting it back on the outlet. You can also buy electrical extender boxes that slip inside your existing box and then screw them in as far as you need to make them flush with the backsplash. Here's a video for each process. Good luck!

  • Bobbie Bobbie on Aug 14, 2017
    How to extend an outlet to be flush with a new wall

  • Jane Boyd Holt Jane Boyd Holt on Aug 14, 2017
    What great answers! Haven't had the problem but now know how to fix it when I do!!