How do I keep the stopper from popping off an olive oil bottle?

+6
I just recently saw a hack of etching on an olive oil bottle and filling with dish soap. I have tried and tried putting soap into several of these bottles and the stopper will not stay on -- it pops off every time. I have tried everything -- what's the secret? I'll bet I've bought 6 bottles....LOL

• Alyssa Alyssa on Aug 14, 2017
    Is it a tapered stopper, or a cylindrical stopper with the same diameter on top and bottom? A cylindrical stopper is less likely to pop out.
  • KattywhampusLOL KattywhampusLOL on Aug 14, 2017
    Hi Kathy, Here is something that looks good:
    So now you have a new decision to make ;) Thanks for using Hometalk for help
  • Kathy Burns Scholl Kathy Burns Scholl on Aug 14, 2017
    It looks like the stopper with the lever might be the best bet since I already have so many bottles...LOL
  • 13526476 13526476 on Aug 14, 2017
    rubber stopper keeps popping up on my olive oil decanter? | Yahoo ...
  • Robyn Garner Robyn Garner on Aug 14, 2017
    I am guessing that soap bubbles are causing the pressure in the bottle to build and then the top pops off. I would 1st see if letting it sit for a little while allowing the bubbles to burst keeps your lid on.

If not, I would try sanding the inside top of the bottle to see if more texturizing works.

3rd I would try to drill a small hole in the lid allowing air to escape.

4th......I would change back to a standard soap dispenser lol!! 😎
  • Sharon Sharon on Aug 15, 2017
    Try tilting the bottle to let the liquid push out as much air as possible and quickly put your stopper in. It might create a vacuum and secure the stopper.
  • Carole Carole on Apr 28, 2021

Try putting your thumb over the top of the stopper as you push it down. I have had the same issue, and this is working...two hours so far. ;)

• Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Apr 30, 2021

Have a go at putting your thumb over the highest point of the plug as you push it down.