Garage Door Makeover

$80

If you have read my previous posts, especially those that were outdoor project posts, you’ll know that I really do not like the color scheme of my house. It is brown. The entire house is brown. Dark brown paint with light brown trim. It’s a bit dreary… I wouldn’t mind the dark brown paint on the main portion of the house if the trim was a lighter, brighter color, but it’s not. It’s just a lighter shade of brown. The garage door was also… surprise, brown! (I bet you didn’t guess that one.  ) So, this past weekend, I decided to complete a garage door makeover! Using primer, paint, and some inexpensive garage door accents, I made my dark brown garage door look bright white, which is a nice contrast to the dark brown paint on the house (and it matches the front of my DIY floating deck).
Here are the abbreviated instructions for my garage door makeover. For detailed instructions and more pictures, please view my blog post at the link at the bottom.

First I washed the garage door to remove all dirt and dust.
Next, I taped off the house next to the trim.
I painted on a thin coat of primer to the door and trim pieces.

Next, I applied a coat of white paint to the door and trim.
Then a second coat of white paint.
I then added the garage door accent pieces that I had ordered from Amazon. These added a classy touch to the garage door and made it look a lot less plain!
Eventually, our plan is to replace the siding on the house with Hardi Plank siding and some faux rock panels, and then paint all the trim white. But that is on the very long list of future projects! :-)

• White paint  (Home Depot)
  • Primer  (Home Depot)
  • Garage Door Accents  (Amazon)

Pinspired to DIY

• Charly

Why don't you paint some faux windows on the door? My husband and I did ours with just the windows and it makes the door so much more classy looking.
  • Zaq22362942

Did you need to use a special paint for "metal"?
    • Pinspired to DIY

Hi! No, I just used regular Behr Exterior paint from Home Depot. Since the door already was painted brown, I just cleaned it very well and then added a coat of primer, and then once dry, I added two coats of the white exterior paint.
  • Zac22076455

Did you carry the white over to tie in to the color scheme of the rest of the house?
    • Pinspired to DIY

Hi Zacksdane, Not yet. We plan on replacing the wood siding on our house with hardiplank and then adding new trim pieces, which we will paint white to match the garage door. Those are future projects :-)