How do you clean a canvas bag

+9
  • I toss in the washing machine on the delicate cycle cold or warm water. Then reshape and air dry.
  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Aug 15, 2017
    I use canvas bags to shop and wash them weekly with detergent and Oxiclean. Then I line dry them, smoothing them out and hanging them from the handles. They stay nice and clean that way. I have a HE washer and wash them on the regular cycle with warm water. I've used the same bags for over two years and they still look good.
  • Michele Pappagallo Michele Pappagallo on Aug 15, 2017
    I would spot clean it with a mild soap and water. Rinse well and allow to dry. Use a small brush or cloth to rub the surface, then wipe with a clean water and a clean cloth to remove the soapy residue.
  • DesertRose DesertRose on Aug 15, 2017
    My husband uses canvas bags and I just wash them on the permanent press cycle in our washer. Hope this helps.
  • Amanda Amanda on Aug 15, 2017
    You can soak them in a bucket of soap, baking soda, and water. Then let it air dry.
  • Susan K Mullins Susan K Mullins on Aug 15, 2017
    I put a canvas bag in my dishwasher and it came out like new. I cleaned the bad spots first with Dawn. After cleaning the I rinsed the bag well and put it on the top rack of the dishwasher.
  • Emily Emily on Aug 15, 2017
    I put everything in my washing machine, leather bags, leather soft shoes, sneakers, so that is where I would put canvas bags.

• See 1 previous
    • Emily Emily on Aug 15, 2017
      Hi B. Our town has a facility called a "swap shop" and I have found real leather bags there. I do wash them in the washing machine, air dry. I do nothing to condition them. I also wash leather tennis shoes. I use detergent and wash at the temperature the rest of the laundry is washed at which would not be cold. Now understand that the leather bags I wash this way are free, so I am losing nothing.
  • B. Enne B. Enne on Aug 15, 2017
    I was going to say, if it has leather details, you can use upholstery cleaner and spot clean it.
  • Rosalie Rogers Rosalie Rogers on Aug 15, 2017
    If you are talking about a canvas handbag washing it might take off the sizing which means the canvas will be softer and have less body, but it will be clean.