GREAT SELF-SEEDING PLANTS

If your vision for your garden is adaptable and you take delight in little surprises, then you may be interested in inviting self-seeding volunteers into your garden.
To see more gardening posts: http://threedogsinagarden.blogspot.ca/
volunteers that lend a gardener an unrequested helping hand, flowers, gardening, perennials, Hollyhocks a biennial plant that reseeds itself after it flowers and then blooms the following summer Full sun
Hollyhocks a biennial plant that reseeds itself after it flowers and then blooms the following summer. (Full sun)
volunteers that lend a gardener an unrequested helping hand, flowers, gardening, perennials, Forget me nots are probably the most familiar garden self seeders They look wonderful as an understory for tulips and early spring bloomers Sun or part shade
Forget-me-nots are probably the most familiar garden self-seeders. They look wonderful as an understory for tulips and early spring bloomers. (Sun or part shade)
volunteers that lend a gardener an unrequested helping hand, flowers, gardening, perennials, There are large sections of my garden under the cover of mature trees and so I welcome anything that can take the shade Resilient little troopers Violets have now self seeded into both sunny and shaded crevices throughout my garden
There are large sections of my garden under the cover of mature trees, and so I welcome anything that can take the shade. Resilient little troopers, Violets have now self-seeded into both sunny and shaded crevices throughout my garden.
volunteers that lend a gardener an unrequested helping hand, flowers, gardening, perennials, Undemanding of anything but a sunny spot it shows up every summer to add a punch of bright color to my July garden and keeps blooming until late fall
Undemanding of anything but a sunny spot, it shows up every summer to add a punch of bright color to my July garden and keeps blooming until late fall.
volunteers that lend a gardener an unrequested helping hand, flowers, gardening, perennials, Annual Calendula Full sun
Annual Calendula (Full sun)
volunteers that lend a gardener an unrequested helping hand, flowers, gardening, perennials, Like Calendula Feverfew is a happy go lucky flower that shows up in the oddest nooks and crannies I welcome it wherever it turns up Full sun
Like Calendula, Feverfew is a happy-go-lucky flower that shows up in the oddest nooks and crannies. I welcome it wherever it turns up. (Full sun)
volunteers that lend a gardener an unrequested helping hand, flowers, gardening, perennials, Annual poppies love sun They are such great self seeders that can easily take over a flower bed if you let them
Annual poppies love sun. They are such great self-seeders that can easily take over a flower bed if you let them!
volunteers that lend a gardener an unrequested helping hand, flowers, gardening, perennials, Columbines are early bloomers that are great for bridging the gap between spring bulbs and the great majority of perennials They also readily self seed Full sun
Columbines are early bloomers that are great for bridging the gap between spring bulbs and the great majority of perennials. They also readily self-seed. (Full sun)
volunteers that lend a gardener an unrequested helping hand, flowers, gardening, perennials, Columbine
Columbine
Columbine
volunteers that lend a gardener an unrequested helping hand, flowers, gardening, perennials, Foxgloves are another biennial that often reseed themselves and then bloom late the following spring Part shade
Foxgloves are another biennial that often reseed themselves and then bloom late the following spring. (Part shade)
volunteers that lend a gardener an unrequested helping hand, flowers, gardening, perennials, Yellow Fumitory is another shade loving self seeder I love the fern like leaves and it blooms non stop all summer It can spread readily but any unwanted seedlings are easy to pull out
Yellow Fumitory is another shade loving self-seeder. I love the fern-like leaves and it blooms non-stop all summer. It can spread readily, but any unwanted seedlings are easy to pull out.
Three Dogs in a Garden

Questions on this post

Your question...

Comments

2 of 9 comments
  • Carole Alden Carole Alden on Mar 03, 2014
    Three Dogs in a GardenYes, this has creeping roots. It's over at my other house were my daughter lives now. I'm at my son's house and my other daughter has moved out here too. It's the farm my aunt had years ago and there isn't a flower anyplace, except for some very old hostas, so I'll be moving some of mine over here. I'll first have to find out what they are, so I can check about if the horses might eight some. The soil is awful, gravel pit a couple streets over. lots of sand too. We do have free horse manure. I'm 66 so I won't be doing a lot of digging in this hard soil, but I'll build some compost and see if I can build up a berm someplace. I love waking up in the morning to see the flowers outside. Lots of land, so it won't matter if they get out of hand to much, everything is green around here, need some color badly.I have sun places and shade. Your Hollyhocks are wonderful.
  • Carole Alden Carole Alden on Mar 04, 2014
    Three Dogs in a Garden Thanks, their free, so I'll just move a pail of them over here and plant where we don't keep any horses and find out what they are after they bloom. I do remember they were straight and tall, besides spreading a lot. You can't keep them in a flower bed, they spread. They do look nice behind tiger lilies.
Next