Dianna Wood
Dianna Wood
  • Burlington, NC

Look at Her BLOOM'N Patio! A Patio Transformation

$80

A few tubes of black caulk, some paint and a little imagination can transform your patio into a magical garden spot that will delight you and your company for years to come.
BEFORE
BEFORE
This was the Patio Before!
Close Up - The Patio has Bloomed!
Close Up - The Patio has Bloomed!
The first step is to decide on a design. You really can't go wrong with giant botanical images because flowers are all shapes, sizes and colors and much easier for those who may not be as artistically inclined. If you can color in a coloring book, you can create lovely art on any wall in your house. Inside or Out.

Once you have your design determined, sketch in onto your wall. I recommend using pastel chalks so that you can wipe them off easier once your caulk has dried.

If you have a way of projecting an image onto your wall space, you can simply trace the outlines onto the wall. Remember those old over head projectors back in the 1970's. Those would work wonderfully for a project like this.
look at her bloom n patio
Using a caulk gun, apply the black caulk simply follow the lines you sketched. NOTE: It is good to keep a wet terry cloth rag handy to wipe off any mistakes and to clean the tip of the caulk tube from time to time.
look at her bloom n patio
Let the finished caulk dry for a few hours . Using your finger, push down any little tips that might be sticking up. The caulk should still be flexible enough to gently push in any caulk lines that might be sticking out. I also went over the lines and gentle push on them to make sure they were adhering to the siding.
look at her bloom n patio
Paint a base coat into all your shapes to better determine were the colors will go. Sometimes it is difficult to discern which shapes are part of the flower and which are part of the leaves, etc. But once the base color coat is there, everything becomes more clear.
look at her bloom n patio
I decided to go with a vibrant poppy red and then mixed that with yellow to get the highlight colors. The cool thing is that if you are not happy with a color choice, you can simply paint right over it once it dries.
look at her bloom n patio
Once I finished this wall, I decided to also paint the wall to the left of the door leading into the in-law quarters. Here is a step by step of that wall. More clearly showing the stages.
STEP ONE:  Sketch the Design
STEP ONE: Sketch the Design
look at her bloom n patio
Now Caulk in your lines and let dry
STEP THREE:  Paint your Base Colors
STEP THREE: Paint your Base Colors
look at her bloom n patio
STEP FOUR: Add your details, Highlights, and contrast colors
AFTER
AFTER
All of the chairs and the glass coffee table came from Second Hand Stores. Total cost for all that you see was under $150. Never buy new if you don't have to!
look at her bloom n patio
look at her bloom n patio
Now, put on you thinking cap and get busy! You could do a field of daisies or even just broad leaf grasses in different colors of green. Oh, that would be subtle, yet beautiful. Hey, I might do that on the garage doors. The most important thing to remember is--Have Fun!
look at her bloom n patio
Now that is truly a transformation!

Dianna Wood

• Jennifer Halenar

This is so beautiful and would make even winter time more pleasant on the patio. Did you use any kind of fixative over the final painting to preserve it from the elements?

• Dianna Wood

Hi Jennifer - No, I did not use any fixative - It is under a covered patio and the paint I used was exterior house paint. So, it should be good.

• Bernice H

Hi..saw this quite a while ago...and LOVED IT. I still love it. How is it holding up? Do you ever have to hose it down from accumulation of dust and dirt,etc? Just beautiful.

• Rick Kale

That is OUTSTANDING!!! where in the world did you come up with that?? I commend you BRAVO!!! You nailed it down to the paper lanterns.... you may have said, but being blown away by the overall.... why the dark caulk outlines, contain paint bleeding?? Either way, BRAVO again... this is the first thing on this home talk that has left me saying “ I’m starting that within the next hour!!! Just WOW!!

• Dianna Wood
      2 hours ago

Wow! Rick - Sorry it took so long to reply. I have had some family issues come up. The Black caulk lines were a design choice. I had an oriental carved three panel screen in the living room were the wood was carved away leaving the design outlined in the raised wood, painted black. Totally cool. That was what inspired me.

• Kisten Brandenburg

This is incredible. You are very talented.

• Joyce
    31 minutes ago

I have a sheet, but not the time . I just have tooooo much stuff going on at the moment. Hopefully sometime this summer! Thanks for your comments Dianna!