Asked on Aug 17, 2017

Multiple discolorations in newly poured concrete slab

TravisCin21825342Cindy
+6

We undertook one of our first home improvement projects this past weekend and had our small, builder placed back patio slabs demo'ed and had 2 new, larger concrete slabs poured this past Saturday. It's now Wednesday and one of the slabs (the larger one) looks fine while the other, smaller slab (pictured) is showing various discolorations and surface differences.

The other slab and area outside of the box all look uniform; grey with white speckles (which we understand will fade and even over time).

The area of concern is in the boxed area, where there's areas of black discoloration in some parts, while another piece of this slab looks bleached white compared to all the rest of the concrete work. It also seems to have a different surface consistency than the rest of the concrete.

I've read about treatments that can help with discoloration, but since there seems to be various discolorations going on, not sure the right approach.

Given we're newies at concrete work and the contractor has been of little help, we're reading all sorts of information online. Did a search but didn't see anything that speaks to treating one area with multiple discolorations/surface variations going on.

Should this be treated or will it even out over time? If treated, what would be recommended; vinegar, muratic acid or a commercial treatment of some kind? Would it work for both the black spots and bleached looking area?

Many thanks to anyone that has advice or expertise they could share.

Janet Pizaro

sorry but really you need to get in touch with someone over the contractor to state your complaint.Really they will be the only people to help you. If no satisfaction is given all the better business bureau and make a formal complaint
    • Sienna Farrell
      Sienna Farrell

I'm making over $14k a month working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it. Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life.. Go this web and start your work.. Good Luck... http://www.Jobzon3.com
  • Smokinjoe2017
    Smokinjoe2017

Thanks Janet. Before we move to that stage, we're hoping to get some advice on what part of this may be normal (given that it's relatively fresh) or possibly someone who's seen this before and can recommend a treatment. If all else fails after some fair attempts, we'll definitely plan to go to the BBB or small claims court.
  • C. D. Scallan
    C. D. Scallan

It looks as though the discoloration is in the shade . Does it get any sun? Because it's been my experience that can make a difference in the coloration .
  • Leave it alone! Plus your "after care" instructions should have included hosing the surface down at least once a day for the first week or more so that the concrete cures slowly so that it does not develop surface cracks and dries evenly. It can take 30 days - sometimes more - to completely "cure."
  • Sharon
    Sharon

I've always been told concrete doesn't fully cure for 28 days, so I wouldn't add any chemicals or cleaners to it until its fully cured.
    If he is a licensed contractor and refuses to respond contact your state contractor's licensing board online and file a complaint, but I think its too soon, I would call and ask what to do to lessen the discoloration, like should you be wetting it? so it cures evenly.
  • Cindy
    Cindy

I agree with above comments. I don't think it is fully cured yet. Definitely don't add any thing to it. That may null the agreement you had with the contractor. Keep documenting and taking pictures in case you do end up in court. But my advice for now is to wait.
  • Cin21825342
    Cin21825342

Concrete that large takes a long time to cure. Be patient. Wait a full month before being too concerned about the color. If it is still looking poorly call your contractor.
  • Travis
    Travis

Ird not fully cured . However you need to contact the ready mix company and they will send out a rep. Good luck .