Turn an Old Sweater Into a Pumpkin!

$1

Got old sweaters? You can use them to create really cute pumpkins for your home decor this autumn. And no sewing is involved! It's simple, fast, and fun.

turn an old sweater into a pumpkin
First, gather your materials. I used several different "autumn colored" sweaters, but you can use whatever works for you! It doesn't matter what they are made of -- cotton, wool, polyester is all fine.
turn an old sweater into a pumpkin
To make a small pumpkin, just cut the sleeve off the sweater. (You can also make medium- and large-sized pumpkins -- see my tutorial link at the top for where to cut.)
turn an old sweater into a pumpkin
Turn the cut sweater sleeve inside out.
turn an old sweater into a pumpkin
Cut off a long length of thread (at least two yards) and tie the bottom edge of your sweater together tightly. Tie at the cut edge, not the cuff edge.
turn an old sweater into a pumpkin
Glue the bottom edge of the sweater to keep it in place.
turn an old sweater into a pumpkin
Turn your sweater right side out, with the thread hanging out the top.
turn an old sweater into a pumpkin
Stuff your sweater with fiberfill or even just cut up sweater scraps.
turn an old sweater into a pumpkin
Cut a one inch notch at the top of your sweater edge, right next to the seam.
turn an old sweater into a pumpkin
Allow the thread to come out the side at the notch. Pull tightly (but don't break it).
turn an old sweater into a pumpkin
Gather the top edge of the sweater and tie your thread around it tightly, at least one inch down from the edge.
turn an old sweater into a pumpkin
Begin wrapping your thread around the sweater ball, from top to bottom, several times. This creates the segments of the classic pumpkin shape. Pull the thread tightly to create the shape. Aim for 6-8 segments.
turn an old sweater into a pumpkin
Once you've got all your segments defined, wrap the thread around the top section to create the stem of the pumpkin.
turn an old sweater into a pumpkin
Glue the end of the thread in place so it doesn't unwrap.
turn an old sweater into a pumpkin
Cut out leave shapes in a contrasting color of sweater and glue them to the top of your pumpkin.
turn an old sweater into a pumpkin
Display your cute sweater pumpkins with pride.

• Old sweaters  (Thrift store and my closet)
  • Fiberfill  (Craft store)
  • Embroidery thread (pearl cotton 8) or twine  (Craft store)
Jennifer Maker

• Ard7370318

These pumpkins are so cute but I'd like to ask since your using old sweaters to make them out of how do you keep your cut ends especially on the leaves from unraveling?

• Pollie Pinyerd

I have done these, I put school glue on parchment paper, lay your cutout in the glue & let it dry. Then peel off to use!

• Lisa VanKuren Evers

the white pumpkin, what part of the sweater did you use to make a larger pumpkin? thank you and a very cute idea.