How to Stencil Your Patio

$100

When Jenny, from Jenny Louise Marie, offered to share this patio stenciling post with my readers, I was thrilled! Take a look at these gorgeous images and her tips, then head to her blog for more inspiration!

First of all, let me begin by telling you that I live in a new home. My patio was perfectly fine before tackling this project. I decided to do it because I wanted the patio to feel like more of an outdoor room than just a slab of cement. I had a rug, but wanted a bit more. Plus, all those lovely photos I was seeing on Instagram and Pinterest were whispering in my ear.

As I’ve mentioned, my patio is new and in great condition.  However, if your patio has cracks or holes, you will need to fix those before you paint the surface.  I had hoped to be able to just start with my base coat and go.  No such luck.  

The friendly people at Home Depot told me that I would need to etch my concrete first.  In case you are wondering like I was, this is a chemical that you scrub onto your patio with a brush, let it set for a half hour, then rinse off.  It has some form of acid that opens the pores of the concrete so that it will accept the paint.  This is the one I used.
You can see that we have swept off any debris and moved everything out of the way.  At this point the patio was ready for paint.  We went with the Behr Porch & Patio paint in ultra white.  We also had the deep base tinted black for the stenciling.
Applying the base coat was super quick and easy thanks to this handy little tool.
Not only did the paint go on smoothly, it was also wonderful to not have to do the whole job on my knees.  And, since I’m in the heat of Texas, it dried quick as well.  I applied two coats of the white paint and let it dry overnight.  So far, this project is a breeze.
The next day I was excited to start applying the stencil pattern using the black Behr paint.  I first tried using the roller to apply it.  I hoped that it would be that easy.  
As you can see, too much paint.  It seeped under the stencil.  It’s not terrible, but it didn’t show the detail.  It kind of looks like a blob.  So the stenciling part was not going to be quite as easy as I hoped.
Next I tried some foam tipped brushes. So these are great because they allow you to use a pounce type action to apply the paint.  Also you can control the amount of paint better with these than the roller.  However, it still didn’t work out great on the patio.  I’m thinking that perhaps my patio was too rough.  On a smoother surface they might have worked better.  Here’s what I got.
Better. right?  But, still not what I was wanting.
However, once I pulled out my handy-dandy stencil brush, it worked like a charm.
Still, I did learn some lessons along the way.  So, I have a bit of advice for you if you’re considering doing this.  Head to this post for Jenny's top 5 tips when undertaking a large stenciling project!

All done, I think the project probably took 10-12 hours.  It was not back breaking work at all ~ especially if it’s not too hot outside.  Would I do it again?  Yes!  I really like the outcome and the feel it gives our patio.   Now I just need it to cool down a bit so we can entertain on the patio.  That will be about October. 
So, have you tackled a project like this and lived to tell about it?  If so, I want to hear about it.  If you have any questions about this, don’t hesitate to leave it below in the comments.  Now here’s the real question.  What do you think?

Linda (burlap+blue)

• Tammy Baggett George

You said you painted the base with “this handy tool”, but I didn’t see what it was. Was it just a roller with an extension handle? It looks fantastic!!!

• Vickey Thomas

This looks great, but I spilled some fence stain on my patio a while back. It looks like a murder scene!! Is there something I can use to get rid of that first?

• Amber

I suggest if u can’t get it up just stain the whole thing I stained some bricks once on a fireplace and it didn’t look too bad !!

• David

Looks awesome. My question is this. I have a good size back patio. Was thinking of trying this. Our patio is in great condition . But we had it salt etched after they poured it. Will this work on that surface ?

• Murphy

Looks great. Know what you mean about Oct. Thats when the patio sitting starts in TX. Everybody elses ends.

I am also in Deep South TX.

• Marlissa Gibbs

I live in North Central Texas and you are right. It's too hot! I admire your courage for doing this during that time of year. I want to have more livable outside space. I'm definitely using your idea! Thanks for sharing.