DIY Nursery Book Shelves for $4 Each

$20

The truth is, I am not the mastermind behind this super easy, $4 bookshelf solution… I wish I was because this IKEA hack is genius! Instead, I actually saw this project in a friend’s nursery and loved how these cute shelves corralled her little one’s books. Then I found out that each shelf was under $4 and takes about 5 minutes to build and I knew this project would be the answer for my sister’s small space storage dilemma.

For the full tutorial, check out this post.

Although these look like they are the cutest little bookshelves ever, they are actually designed to be kitchen spice racks from IKEA. You can find them in the kitchen area and each package is only $3.99. So the grand total for all three of these shelves was around $12!!

In true IKEA fashion everything you need to build these shelves (4 screws and an allen wrench) comes inside of the package. So the only other supplies you need on hand is the paint or stain you wish to use in order to personalize them for your space.
I built the shelves and then sprayed them with two coats of this paint/primer spray paint combo. You can always paint or stain the pieces before building them too. I don’t think it matters all that much either way.
After painting or staining the bookshelves all that’s left to do is hang them on the wall and fill them with books! These shelves already have hanging hardware attached on the backside of them, so all you need is a couple of anchors and screws and you should be all set.
This project seems too good to be true since it’s so affordable and extremely easy, but I’m happy to report there were no hidden problems. 
To see how much this little guy loves them and to see the rest of this charming (and budget friendly) nursery, check out the post right here!

The DIY Playbook

• Maria

In relation to this project, what can you recommend as a spice rack which I can hang from the bottom of a hanging cabinet. The lazy susan which I use for the bottles of spices have filled up and I need to put the rest somewhere where they are not a nuisance to my small kitchen counter.

Thanks!
    • Patricia Schipf

Only put the spices you use regularly in rack. Put others in a box and on a shelf in cabinet, I keep baking spices, baking powder, soda, vanilla and flavorings together for quick access.

• Stacy

How does the front of the rack hold up to little ones pulling and hanging on them? Seems like the front part of the rack (the thin piece of wood) would break off pretty easily.

• K

How do they connect to the wall?

• Ellis

This is cute and useful, but know your toddler. The one I know would climb these like a ladder!

• Emma Alicia Bustos

Yep, I see a toddler climbing it!