Lea Grossman
Lea Grossman
  • Hometalk Team
  • New Rochelle, NY

Bejewled Bathroom Mirror

$70

I have had a hideous bathroom mirror for almost 4 years - it just had a plain wood frame. I had never even thought of DIYing it, until I saw this post on Hometalk and decided to give it a go!
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
bejewled bathroom mirror
After seeing Roma Loma's project, I just searched for all those items on Amazon, and found the following:
I ended up buying everything on Amazon, except the gems, because a friend ended up giving me some for free!

Above, is my 'before' photo

Step 1: Covered the mirror with paper, so that the spray paint wouldn't get the mirror dirty.
bejewled bathroom mirror
Step 2: Went outside to spray paint! DH won't let me spray paint in the house anymore :(
bejewled bathroom mirror
Here's the mirror when it was all painted.
bejewled bathroom mirror
Step 3: Lay out your gems.
bejewled bathroom mirror
Step 4: Get gluing! I layed down a little bit of glue at a time, and shmeared it so the whole frame was covered. I did a few inches at a time. Glue, shmear, place gems, repeat!
bejewled bathroom mirror
Roma Loma used a popsicle stick to shmear the glue, but I used a straw!

bejewled bathroom mirror
bejewled bathroom mirror
Finished product!
bejewled bathroom mirror
Close up!
bejewled bathroom mirror
Here it is hung up in my bathroom! So excited to brush my teeth in front of this :)
Lea Grossman

• Yofrendonna

what is DH? Also what is the wire at top of mirror for?

• Elaine

I think DH means "Dear Husband" but I have no idea what the wire is for. I'm guessing it is wired to the back of the mirror frame (in order to hang it up?) and the woman just hasn't snipped off the excess yet.

• Irene

Love what you did. I don't have a frame on my mirror which is 24"x24". Do you think this can be done on the mirror itself....say about 2+ inches wide?

• Irene

I don't have a frame on my 24"x24" mirror which is glued to the wall. Do you think I could do the same directly on the mirror itself...about 2+ inches wide all around like a faux frame?

• Kpi7445347

I too wanted more than 3x5' mirror. After several attempts to gorilla glue beach glass to the clean mirror without success (after a couple of showers the steam caused a few to fall off) I decided to etch the mirror first. I used an etching cream sold at Michael's and Hobby Lobby(can't remember the name) to etch the mirror which gave the glue a better hold. You have to be careful to avoid getting the cream on places you don't plan on covering.

• Lah27068304

i did something similar. i have a craft cabin that i've been putting the final touches on, i have a huge collection of colorful buttons and flued them on the bathroom mirror. it's adorable!

• Beth

Love what you did