Bobbi Perreault
Bobbi Perreault
  • Glencoe, MN

Tin Ceiling Tile Look For Almost Free With Plaster and Paint

$20.00

I love the look of a tin ceiling. I wanted one! But we were building our house (10 years ago) on a cash only basis so there was NO budget for tin ceilings. ( Oh you can tell, but I should say this: I am Not a professional, I do Not do it right! BUT what I have has worked for me. )
It's a very good idea to use a chalk-line snap string to mark off your tiles on the ceiling. AS you can tell, I SKIPPED THIS STEP. (embarrassed)
What to do?  I have plaster. I have paint. And I'm not afraid to embarrass myself.  Ha.
What to do? I have plaster. I have paint. And I'm not afraid to embarrass myself. Ha.
First you need a plan.  I googled for ceiling tile.  Printed off the picture of the tile I liked.
First you need a plan. I googled for ceiling tile. Printed off the picture of the tile I liked.
I traced the pattern on that shelf liner, and with a razor blade cut out the places I wanted to STICK OUT.
Ok, this takes some practice!  But you can DO IT. Get your ladder.  Load up the trowel with plaster.  Place the stencil on the ceiling.  Draw the trowel across the stencil, leaving the voids in the stencil filled with plaster.
Ok, this takes some practice! But you can DO IT. Get your ladder. Load up the trowel with plaster. Place the stencil on the ceiling. Draw the trowel across the stencil, leaving the voids in the stencil filled with plaster.
Remove the stencil.  Repeat across your ceiling until all the tiles are there.
Remove the stencil. Repeat across your ceiling until all the tiles are there.
After the plaster dries, it's time to paint.  This part is really fun.  I was going for an antique copper look on my ceiling.
After the plaster dries, it's time to paint. This part is really fun. I was going for an antique copper look on my ceiling.

• Izzy

Where did you get stencil?
    • Bobbi Perreault

I made the stencil from a piece of cupboard shelf liner ( 1/8 inch thick ). I printed the ceiling tile design from the Internet and then cut it out with a razor knife. BUT - you can buy these plaster stencils online. Try this Google search: "ceiling tile plaster stencil"

• Tonya

WOW WOW WOW!!!! If only I had a tad bit of your nerve and creativity...

• Donna

hi @Bobbi Perreault I would like to visit your web site but the link takes me to Violence Intervention web site and no diy projects. Love your ceiling and you are awesome to jump into such a big and difficult project. Donna

• Bobbi Perreault

@Donna Sorry! I support VIP and have donated the use of my server temporarily so that their website will continue to function. I didn't have any DIY stuff there, anyway. I've been using Hometalk to post my projects lately. Thanks for your kind words.