Painting DIY: How to Reach Corners Above Tall Kitchen Cabinetry

$20

When you have deep cabinets over the refrigerator or wall ovens, it's extremely hard to reach the corners for cutting a smooth line with your paint brush for trimming out.
painting diy how to reach corners above tall cabinetry
This technique will keep you from crawling on top of your upper cabinets to finish your paint job! The last time I painted our kitchen was ten years ago. I was young enough at the time to balance on a 6-foot ladder and hang over the cabinet with my upper body to reach the corners well enough. Not anymore!
I've always used an extension pole for painting walls - especially now that we have 9-foot ceilings. This time, I decided to also use the pole for the most challenging part of the job.
You won't believe how easy this is! Tape the handle of your brush to the end of the extension pole. For the most control, tape the entire length of the brush handle. Tape it well with painter's tape. You don't want any wobbling around.
Place the paint bucket on the counter top so that it'll be easy to reach with your brush from a high rung on the ladder. Climb your ladder carefully. Reach down with your brush tip and load it with a little paint. Not too much, or you'll have a drippy mess all over your cabinets. Lift the brush tip carefully.
Rest the pole against the edge of the upper cabinet. It's easiest to paint the corner of the wall area first. From the corner (just under the crown molding), guide the brush tip along the edge of the molding as you lay paint for the trimming.
I thought it would be hard to keep control, but resting the pole against the cabinet edge was the key. Paint first one direction, then the other. Take your time. Don't get in a rush. You don't want to lose control and make a mess.
Voila! You are done, and it wasn't that hard at all. (Another coat or two of paint may be required.)

• Extension pole for paint roller  (had on hand)
  • Angled 2- inchpaint brush  (had on hand)
  • Wall paint  (Lowe's)
163172